[nfb-talk] email, highlighting, and languages

Kelli Jo Isaak kellijo.isaak81 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 03:26:17 UTC 2015

Hello, Anna. I don't know anything about highlighting separate lines of
text, but I think I can answer your other questions. I don't know much
about JAWS or VO for Apple, so I will try to describe any instructions to
the best of my ability.

Firefox is spell checking your emails. Follow these steps to turn it off:

   1. Click on the menu icon in the far right of your browser. You will
   know when you are in the right place when JAWS reads the tool tip "Open
   Menu".
   2. Click on the Options button. It is the eighth in a grid of nine
   buttons and is located between the Find and Addons buttons.
   3. In the top navigation bar of the Options menu, click on the Advanced
   icon. It is located in the far right of the window and is the last of nine
   icons. It is beside the Sync option.
   4. Click on the General tab if it isn't already selected and find the
   category labeled "Browsing".
   5. You should find four check boxes, all of which are checked. They
   include the following: "Use autoscrolling", "Use smooth scrolling", "Use
   hardware acceleration when available", "Check my spelling as I type"
   6. Remove the check mark from the box labeled "Check my spelling as I
   type".

As to your question about learning another language, my favorite app is
called Duolingo (http://www.duolingo.com). It is totally free to register
and use, available for both Android and Apple devices, and you can also
sign into your account and study on your laptop. There are photo and word
association exercises, speaking exercises, writing exercises, and
categories are broken up into smaller lessons. You can click on or touch a
word to learn it or refresh your memory. New words are yellow with a dotted
underline and old words are black and with a solid underline. I personally
find it really addictive and fun! Unfortunately, I don't know how
accessible it is. Since the app is pretty much text based, I shouldn't
think it would be that bad. :-)

I hope this helps!

Kelli Jo Isaak