[NFB-Talk] Question regarding Free Matter

Jim Portillo portillo.jim at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 22:55:34 UTC 2021

Hi.
I wonder if someone could clarify something for me regarding sending something Free Matter for the Blind.
It is my understanding that if the materials are Braille, then I should be able to send it.
I was trying to send a box with Braille materials in it, but I didn’t go to an actual post office to sen it. I needed a good box, so I went to one of those Mailboxes Etc. Places that is a third party place.
I was told that they could not ship my stuff using Free Matter. It was very obvious they didn’t know what I was talking about, but I had them look it up before I had to pay money. They told me that since they were a third party, they wouldn’t be able to use that shipping method.
I had the option to take the heavy box with stuff to the nearest post office, but by that time, I didn’t want to call another Uber and carry it elsewhere.
Does anyone know who might have been right in this situation? Could I have used Free Matter, or do third party places have the right to say no and instead charge me for Media Mail?
Thanks much.
Jim