[nfbcs] Braille+

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sun Dec 14 20:46:22 UTC 2008

Joe:

I believe that the American Printing House for the Blind (APH) is the
distributor for the Braille Plus. That would also be indicated from
Cindy's mention of the Book Port and its supposed upgraded version.
Although I think she is partly correct in inferring that APH had trouble
getting the device from the manufacturer, it was also a case of the
Victor Reader Stream upstaging the Book Port a bit, at least insofar as
access to NLS digital talking books was concerned, and APH judged that
between difficulties in obtaining the Book Port replacement and the
availibility of the Stream, it decided not to go ahead. Moreover, the
Braille Plus can play NLS digital talking books.

The Braille Sense Plus is a PDA cum note-taker on the order of the
Braille Note made by a South Korean firm known as HIMS. Just as the
Braille Note has a brother without the display, the Voice Note, the
Braille Sense Plus has a counterpart, the Voice Sense although I'm not
sure there's a "Plus" version yet.

The Braille Sense Plus is like the Braille Note except that it has
built-in wi-fi, bluetooth and Ethernet cards. It has email, web browser,
address manager, media player, a built-in FM radio and a daisy player.

Mike