[nfbcs] Blindness and Computer Science RE: (no subject)

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Tue Feb 19 23:30:50 UTC 2013

Hi, and welcome!

Like you, I got into programming along the way of my career and made a
career switch of it starting about the time I got to be legally blind. I
just happened to have the opportunity to pick up a project no one else
wanted, which led to a more advanced project, which got me hooked. I
could also see the advantage of having those skills for the future
because the technology was coming along that would make it possible to
continue to do it as I lost the ability to read along the way. Back
then, it was a real advantage to be able to read print because there
wasn't the equivalent wealth of accessible reading material there is
now. Stuff happened, so I'm happy all that material I need to read is
available in the formats I need now to get back up to snuff and advance
my skills. Whew!

Oddly, the new stuff I'm learning nonvisually from the get go is
actually proving easier than what I'm re-learning that I learned
visually and now have to totally reconceptualize, especially for
programming. That doesn't prove a thing, but I thought I'd mention it
anyway. /smile/ The stuff I used to need a pencil and drawing pad for on
the design end is dratted difficult, but since I know blind people who
do it and have picked up some hints of how from them, I'm beginning to
make headway even there. Whew!

As for the bit where you need "a solid foundation in computer science"
... Generally, it is people who *aren't* in the field who come up with
that one. Real programmers these days seem to be more of the opinion --
and so am I -- that you can get going and accomplish quite a lot without
actually knowing all the nitty gritty underlayers between your program
and the machine.

That being said, it wouldn't hurt to read up on the machines themselves
if you don't already have a general idea of how they work below the
surface. Programming is really communicating with the machine in a way
that makes sense to it. Most modern programming languages enable you to
do that by using existing compilers that translate your instructions
down to the machine itself. So if you learn Java, say, you can focus on
what is there and let the Java compiler take care of the rest. If that
makes sense. But for learning purposes of *how* to use Java to do more
than send greetings to the world or make balls bounce colorfully, I
think it would be a strength to understand how and why at least in a
general way. But that could be just me. /smile/

Er... If you haven't really gotten started yet, I will translate my last
attempt at humor: "Hello, World!" That is the first program you will
ever write in any programming language. /lol/ Then you will probably
give greetings in colorful text and... Well, it's a start, and I'm doing
more tutorials, and it's still there.

Tami