[nfbcs] Accessible CS books (was bs is bs)

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Sat Feb 23 13:35:42 UTC 2013

Mike, thanks for sharing your story.  It's very illuminating.

I'm a good braille reader.  I use braille at work and at home.  I read
braille books for pleasure, and I use my braille display all the time at
work.
But, if I'm just reading the computer screen, taking a quick look at a
program, or reading an email, mostly I use Jaws speech, and just look at the
braille display to check on small bits.  Reading my personal email this
morning, I might only look at the braille display a few times.
So, it seems to me that a person in Mike's situation, and I think there are
a lot of them, could use mostly speech, and use vision to check the little
bits.
I find braille extremely useful, but it takes a while for an adult to get
proficient enough to make it useful for long passages. I think learning it
will pay off in the long run, but it is a long run.
Tracy