[nfbcs] FW: Did you guys see this?

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Tue Jun 10 12:38:57 UTC 2014

Don’t know about “too good to be true”, but I’d certainly go with “needed lots of programming ahead of time”. Especially where recognizing specific people is concerned. I suspect with technologies like iBeacons, indoor navigation apps will certainly  will certainly be on the horizon. Recognizing specific kinds of objects is already possible, but still 1) requires some human intervention and 2) isn’t instantaneous, and certainly isn’t practical for browsing grocery aisles. Still, I don’t necessarily think that it’s beyond the realm of possibility in the foreseeable future.

Bearing in mind that it’s a publicity video and squeezes lots of “gee whiz” into a short amount of time, I really don’t think this stuff is impossible. Not here yet, certainly, and its first iterations won’t be anything like as smooth as the publicity video, but this stuff isn’t going to be science fiction forever.