[nfbcs] VINUX on non PAE Question

Blaine Clark blaineclrk at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 21:04:16 UTC 2014

Have you tried to load a good DVD of Vinux 4 on your laptop and if so,
how did it go? Also, what brand and model laptop are you using?
Vinux is Ubuntu that's been altered to be more easily accessible. Ubuntu
has limited accessibility built into the Live install package. Normally,
when you boot Ubuntu from DVD or USB as soon as you hear the sound of
drums you can press one or more keys to start the screen reader or other
assistive aids. This has changed a bit from one version to the next and
can get confusing as Ubuntu experiments. They are trying to incorporate
several different accessibility modes into their system such as
mobility, low vision, blind and deaf-blind access to allow users to
install, setup and use their own computer operating system. Since this
has been in flux since at least 2008, Vinux was started to simplify this
for blind and deaf-blind users so that screen readers and Braille device
drivers start automatically during the Live Boot  process without anyone
having to determine the proper accessibility keys for each disability
for each version of Ubuntu released.
Since you have Ubuntu 12.04 installed, you could go ahead and try it out
to see what differences Vinux has made to the default setups that Ubuntu
has incorporated so far by installing a dual boot with Vinux alongside
Ubuntu. That would give you the options to boot into Ubuntu or Vinux
when you start your laptop. Vinux developers have altered some of the
keystrokes from what I understand, and they have also removed a few
programs and replaced them with more accessible programs that are similar.
Also note that the current Long Term Supported release for Ubuntu is
14.04 and that the latest Vinux release is also based on 14.04. Be
advised though that Ubuntu 12.4 was the first release to use the Unity
desktop style and that Orca, the screen reader for the GUI interface,
can be very unstable. This is not fixable unless you have extensive
experience with Ubuntu and with repackaging, so if you experience
problems with Orca and Ubuntu Unity, your best bet is to scrap that
installation and overwrite it with a Vinux 4 installation.
Because of the changes that the Vinux developers have made to Ubuntu,
Vinux is a very different system from Ubuntu in reality. When Vinux
began, back in 2006 I believe, they had a script that one could run on
an Ubuntu installation to 'Vinuxify' Ubuntu, but that has become much
too complicated and too in-depth a process to use on later Ubuntu
versions. Vinux now is just about as different from Ubuntu as Linux Mint
is. I use Linux Mint which is also a fork of Ubuntu. I only use some
enlargement with a bit of magnification once in a while and Mint does
very well for me, much better than Microsoft ever did. When Ubuntu
switched to the Unity desktop style with version 12.04, the Vinux
developers actually considered switching from Ubuntu to Linux Mint
because the Unity style is not nearly as accessible friendly as the
desktop styles related to Gnome, which Linux Mint has taken great effort
to retain as much as possible in their options of several different
desktop styles. I'm currently using Linux Mint 17, XFCE which is not as
low vision friendly as the Linux Mint 17 Mate style. I'm going to stick
with it though, for at least another month or so to give it a real
chance, but I believe I'll be going back to the Mate style.
By the way, anyone with low vision looking for a replacement for their
Microsoft, be it XP or Win-8.x, I highly recommend Linux Mint 17 Mate.
If you want super magnification you can hook up to a HD TV and enlarge
or magnify to your heart's content. I had a rig made to mount a web cam
on over a table. I could magnify any printed material and even any
appliances or other equipment I could get onto the table and very
clearly see to work on or to read anything. I used a Linux program
called Cheese with the web cam and magnified with another Linux program
called KMag. By transferring that to our 40" HD TV, and as long as the
resolution was adjustable and good enough from the camera, I could make
out scratches on the dates of coins. I nearly had a flat surface
microscope with that setup. If I had spent more money on a high
resolution web cam, I think I might have had a flat surface microscope!
That would be a great tool for use in a classroom with either low vision
or regular vision students wouldn't it? Can you imagine the science
projects a teacher could show? Or how about presenting printed or
graphic material for a low vision group? There are several projector
programs to use in Linux too, so an auditorium presentation isn't out of
bounds either.

Blaine