[nfbcs] Kindle Fire and BrailleBack

Dan Tevelde dan.tevelde at comcast.net
Tue Aug 16 18:11:11 UTC 2016

I recently received a Kindle Fire for Christmas.  Amazon customer service indicated that I could use it with a Braille display by installing BrailleBack from the Amazon App Store.  I did this and my Braille Sense u2 Mini and the device paired immediately.  I was not able to get BrailleBack to correctly display text when I was navigating the Kindle, or trying to read a book.
Over the past few months I have contacted both Amazon and Google for help.  Amazon said that there are known issues with their version of BrailleBack and were working on a solution.  I didn't hear from them again so I contacted them last week.  They told me to try changing the Kindle so it could load BrailleBack directly from the Google play store.  I did this and BrailleBack is still not working very well.  Some commands issued from the Braille display don't work at all.  I consulted the BrailleBack manual on the Google website to verify the keyboard commands.  I also enabled the Braille keyboard in hardware settings on the Kindle.
I can't seem to find anyone who really understands the situation.  If any of you could help, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Dan

Sent from my iPhone