[nfbcs] How many of you got CS jobs through cold interviews?

Aaron Cannon cannona at fireantproductions.com
Wed May 25 21:24:33 UTC 2016

My first internship was gained by a cold email.  I emailed them, told
them why they needed me, and I was on my way out there a month or so
later.

My second job came from applying via an online form to a company found
on Craigslist.  Honestly, it was a waste of time (or seemed so at the
time) because I really didn't feel qualified, and I didn't expect the
company to want to have anything to do with me.  Turns out I was
wrong, and I still consider to be the funnest, and most valuable job
of my entire career.  I learned more at that company than I ever
thought possible.

Anyway, my advice, you should absolutely be doing cold interviews,
unless you've got something better to do.  When I was unemployed, I
treated finding a job, and qualifying myself for that job as my
full-time job.

It sucks, I know, but once you get that first job, getting a second is
almost always easier.

Aaron