[nfbcs] Windows Mouse cursor question

Deborah Armstrong armstrongdeborah at fhda.edu
Wed Sep 14 14:23:21 UTC 2016

This has been my experience too. I hadn't used XP for a while and was on vacation for a month. So I booted up my sighted husband's old XP computer and installed JAWS and WindowEyes on it; it already had NVDA. I updated them all to the last version that supported XP and tried some experiments.

Sure enough in most situations, if I got a message box with an OK button, I could use the invisible cursor or the other screen reader equivalents to read the message in the box. And NVDA often automatically read it anyway.

But in Windows 7, most of the time, if such a message appears, I hear the OK button read and I can't access the actual message in the box. Nvda is best at automatically voicing that message, but with JAWS I often cannot access it at all.

I remember in an old Freedom Scientific webinar archive, when Win 7 first came out there was a brief discussion of how Windows itself had now limited a program's ability to manipulate the mouse. But it was a very brief discussion and I haven't been able to locate the comment. I wanted some confirmation that this was a Microsoft issue so I could direct complaints to them.

I also work with sighted Dragon users, and Dragon can move the mouse fine in later versions of Windows. It has a visual concept called the mouse grid, where a numbered onscreen grid lets the user verbally direct the mouse to a particular area. So to me that seems to prove that programs can still move the mouse freely onscreen.

There's a wonderful early science fiction story, written by E.M. Forester in 1909 called "The Machine Stops" -- you can find it online if you google. In that story, the comfy world people live in begins to deteriorate very slowly, so slowly that at first they do not notice. I feel sometimes that our access to Windows is drifting so slowly in that direction we hardly notice!

--Debee