[nfbcs] {Spam?} Re: Optacon thoughts

Curtis Chong curtischong at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 14 17:30:06 UTC 2016

Greetings all:

Although the optacon was difficult to learn, slow to read print, and
moderately expensive, it did one thing that no technology does today.
With the optacon, a blind person could literally feel the shapes and
texture of print on the page. A blind person could, with some effort,
also feel diagrams and handwritten information, although I would wager
that this latter type of information was a bit more difficult to understand.

Yes, we do have OCR technology now, imperfect as it is. But we don't
have anything that enables us to "feel" the print. I do have some desire
for this ability, but I am not sure how much I am willing to pay for
it<smile>.

Regards,

Curtis Chong