[Nfbf-l] Hello from a new member

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Thu Dec 3 01:53:30 UTC 2009

Dear adrijana,

Welcome to our list.
I am David Evans and I live in Boca Raton Florida, USA.
I have been a member of the NFB since 1987, a Chapter President for a total
of 18 years and a Florida State Board of Directors member for 8 years.  I am
the current Chapter Secretary.
I think that the NFB is the best organization a   Blind person can belong
to.
We are an organization of Blind people, helping Blind people.  We have over
60,000 members and have many people in other countries who follow us, and
our example , in spreading information about the true nature of blindness.

Our National conventions are attended by between 3,000 to 5,000 Blind people
each year and normally at least 25 to 27 foreign countries also attend.
They are the largest gathering of the Blind in the World.
I have been Blind since the age of 16, but I attended colleges and became a
Nuclear/Aerospace Materials Engineer and worked on the Lunar Rovers that
went to the Moon with the Apollo program.
I worked in research and development in both aerospace and in nuclear power.
I retired in 1986 as a department head for a aviation hydraulics firm here
in Florida
I now volunteer as a Public Transportation advocate and work on legislative
matters, serve on Boards and help to make policy for our South Florida
Regional Transit Authority.
I would enjoy hearing from you and what it is like in your country.  My wife
just came back from a trip, with her troop of girl scouts, from Italy and a
cruise around Grease.
Look forward to hearing from you soon.

David Evans, NFBF and guide dog Jack.