[Nfbf-l] FW: Proclamation for Vision Awareness Month

Dan Hicks danjhicks at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 12 22:03:25 UTC 2011

Fellow Federation members,

I received this proclamation from Florida Governor Rick Scott a few days
ago. I wanted to share it with everyone. The proclamation is attached in
Word and PDF format, and I don't know if it will make it through the server,
so I am pasting its contents below Joyce's message.

Dan Hicks

"It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars."

                                                     -Garrison Keillor

  _____

From: Hildreth, Joyce [mailto:Joyce.Hildreth at dbs.fldoe.org]
Subject: Proclamation for Vision Awareness Month

Dan,

Please share the attached proclamation with NFBF members and convey my thank
you to members of the work they do to advance opportunities for blind and
visually impaired Floridians.

Greetings,

October is a great time to recognize all the hard work you do to help raise
the awareness of vision loss and enable those who are blind and visually
impaired to have equal access to services.  I thank each of you for the
services you provide. As we kick of the celebration of Vision Awareness
Month I would like to share with you the Proclamation Signed by Governor
Rick Scott.  Please share this proclamation with others at the various
events being held around the state.    Proclamation is attached in Word and
PDF format.

Joyce

Vision Awareness Month

WHEREAS, understanding the effects of vision loss is essential; and

WHEREAS, obtaining knowledge about current laws, rights, skills and
abilities of persons with visual loss or who are blind will enable this
population to have equal access to services, businesses and activities
benefiting them and the entire community; and

WHEREAS, as the public learns more about the Americans with Disabilities
Act, greater opportunities will become available to persons who are blind or
visually impaired; and

WHEREAS, all residents are encouraged to seek and learn information about
the abilities of persons who are blind or visually impaired, to learn the
most effective ways to provide assistance and to increase their knowledge
about the rights and laws that provide assistance to this population in
fully integrating them into all aspects of society.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, Rick Scott, Governor of the State of Florida, do hereby
extend greetings and best wishes to all observing October 2011 as Vision
Awareness Month.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Great Seal of
the State of Florida to be affixed at Tallahassee, the Capital, this 30th
day of September, in the year two thousand eleven.