[Nfbf-l] Fw: CRPAID Action: Let Freedom Ring!

Sherri flmom2006 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 21:56:17 UTC 2012

If all of you would just take a deep breath and relax, and if you would
really read the treaty instead of just assuming it is not a good thing, you
would vote for it. If you are in opposition to the ratification of this
treaty, you are opposed to both NFB policy and ACB policy. If you are in
opposition to this treaty, you are opposed to the rights of the disabled not
only in this country but throughout the world. I wrote to Dr. Maurer
regarding this treaty. His reply is below and my messages are below that.
His reply is also attached. This by no means puts the United Nations in
charge of making decisions for individual countries or individual people for
that matter. I urge support of this treaty. See below. Thank you.

Sherri Brun
SENT VIA E-MAIL

July 23, 2012

Ms. Sherri Brun
[flmom2006 at gmail.com]

Dear Sherri:

            Thanks for your e-mail dated July 20, 2012. The CRPD (Convention
on the Rights of People with Disabilities) is a document that has been
adopted by the UN at the request of the World Blind Union, a worldwide
organization of blind people of which we are a member. Fred Schroeder was
our negotiator at the UN on the details of the convention, and we are in
support of it. The convention is not self-enforcing, but it does cover a
great deal of useful territory. In other words, for its provisions to be
enforced in a country, that country must adopt the convention itself as well
as adopting enabling legislation to create enforceability within the
country. Most of the provisions of the convention are already part of U.S.
law, but there are some provisions regarding access to technology that are
not incorporated in the laws of the United States.

Cordially,

Marc Maurer, President

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

MM/pwm