[Nfbf-l] Para-transit

Nicole D Fincham-Shehan nicoledfincham at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 26 15:58:29 UTC 2018

Good Morning,

The paratransit system in Palm Beach County is pretty decent.  If the driver is 30 minutes late past the 30 minute window or 1 hour past your original pick up time, they usually will let you ride for FREE.  They will also apologize for any inconvenience that their lateness may cause you.

In addition, I do not know of them providing any type of statement informing you of what you have spent during the course of the year.  They contract their service out to 3 different providers, so I do not believe they have the capability of providing such information because they do not know how you paid for your trip, meaning if you paid cash or ticket.  However, if you did purchase tickets for all of your trips from the transit office, you are given a receipt at the time of your purchase and you could hold on to that to keep track in what you spend on paratransit tickets.  However, if you are paying cash, it would be difficult for the agency to inform you of what you have spent.

Also, there is a NO SHOW Policy or LATE CANCELLATION Policy.  The policies are based off of how many trips you have scheduled during the course of the month and if you NO SHO or LATE CANCEL for 15% of those trips, then you can be suspended for a period of time.  There are different criteria depending upon how many frequencies you have had violating both policies.

However, as many of you know, I am originally from Baltimore and I travel back and forth frequently.  Therefore, I still have my certification in Baltimore.  There service is totally different than Palm Beach.

In Baltimore, the ride can be 1 hour or 2 or more hours late and you do not get a FREE ride nor do you get an apology for their lateness.

In addition, they do have a NO SHOW and LATE CANCELLATION Policies.  If you are no showed or late cancellations, more than 3 a month, you can be suspended for 7 days and the suspensions can increase depending upon the frequency of the occurrences.  Within the last 2 years, they have gotten stricter with enforcing this policy.

In Baltimore, again you are not able3 to get a record of how much you have spent on your trips for the year unless you order the paratransit tickets online or go to the transit store.  If you do one of these options, you are given a receipt and obviously online, you are using your credit or debit card to make the purchase.  However, both of these methods you are provided with a printed receipt showing the cost of your purchase.  However, if you pay the driver cash, there is no documentation as to what each client gave the driver.  So, you would haves to keep track of that on your own, but you would not have a paper trail.  In addition, there are 3 separate providers in Baltimore and some of them are able to keep the cash given tot them and others have to turn it in at the end of their shift.

Finally, both Palm Beach and Baltimore have a 30 minute window from the start of your pick up time before the ride is considered to be late.  After the 30 minute window has past, then the ride is considered late and you can call to check on it.

If you have any questions or I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate3 to reach out to me.

Thank you.
Nicole

Vice President
NFB of Palm Beach