[Nfbv-announce] KENNETH JERNIGAN FUND RAFFLE 2015

Michael michaelgkasey at verizon.net
Fri Mar 20 19:17:23 UTC 2015

We will soon have raffle tickets for our members to sell!  Please review the
letter below for details.  This is also a potential fund raiser for each
chapter.

If you have questions, please let me know.

Thank you,

Michael

March 2015

RE: THE KENNETH JERNIGAN FUND RAFFLE 2015

Dear Colleague:

As you are aware, we established the Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship
Fund at our 1998 convention in Dallas. The support from members and friends
has been both generous and enthusiastic. The committee is again sponsoring a
"limited edition raffle" to raise money for the Kenneth Jernigan Fund. The
ticket cost is ten dollars. This drawing will yield at least $10,000 net for
the Kenneth Jernigan Fund.

You might ask, "What's in it for me?" Here is what's in it for you. If you
are the winner of this drawing, you will receive round-trip air
transportation for two to and from Orlando, Florida, for the National
Federation of the Blind's National Convention in July 2016. You will also
receive lodging at that year's convention hotel for seven days during the
convention. You will receive registration and banquet tickets for two. In
addition, you will receive a cash prize of $1,000. On the other hand, if you
don't win, but you sell the winning ticket, your chapter will receive $500.
You do not have to be present to win.

Enclosed are tickets to sell. Note that this year the tickets are not
pre-numbered. This allowed a savings on the printing costs and the numbers
were irrelevant. We are asking each state affiliate to either sell or buy
its allotment of tickets. If you choose to buy tickets for your affiliate, a
suggested use is to donate tickets to the door prize chairman to be included
with regular convention prize drawings.

We believe these tickets are being distributed early enough so that all
sales can be final by June 15th. Please send money and stubs for tickets
sold to:

            Jernigan Fund Committee

            c/o Trisha Tatam

            National Federation of the Blind

            200 East Wells Street

            Baltimore, Maryland 21230

After June 15th, please bring ticket stubs, money, and any unsold tickets to
the national convention and turn them in at the Jernigan Fund table. Please
have checks made payable to the National Federation of the Blind and note KJ
Fund on the memo line.

Kenneth Jernigan Fund Raffle

March 2015

Page two

Be sure to endorse the back of the ticket stubs with your chapter name so we
can send your chapter $500 should the ticket you sold be the winner. If you
choose to buy the tickets so you can donate them to the door prize
committee, please endorse each stub (leave the ticket attached) and return
the whole tickets with your check and instructions that the tickets are to
be turned over to the door prize committee.

We are counting on you to help build the Kenneth Jernigan Fund so we can
accomplish the goals Dr. Jernigan set forth for us.

If you are unable to sell your allocation of tickets, please contact Allen
Harris at (205) 520-9979. We look forward to seeing you in Orlando.

Sincerely,

Allen Harris, Chairman

Assisted by Joy Harris and Jay Cobbs

Kenneth Jernigan Fund Committee

between blind people and our dreams. You can have the life you want;
blindness is not what holds you back.