[Nfbv-announce] VTTI - EV Noise testing

Michael Kasey michaelgkasey at verizon.net
Thu Nov 12 17:10:07 UTC 2015

Please see the announcement below.

blindness is not what holds you back.

Please see the note below from Virginia Tech Transportation Institute And
distribute to NFB members in and around Blacksburg, Virginia.

>From Virginia Tech Transportation Institute:

Thank you for your interest in our study! This project is recruiting people
ages 18 and older who are legally blind.

We are currently recruiting eligible individuals who are visually impaired
to participate in a research study assessing detectability of approaching
vehicles within a simulated intersection environment.  Specifically,
participants will be asked to identify the first point of detection with
respect to approaching vehicles, as well as the point at which the
approaching vehicle has passed and is no longer a threat.  These assessments
will be from the point of view of a pedestrian who is attempting to cross
the street, although participants will remain stationary throughout the test
session.  This study would involve coming to our facility for a single
day-long (7-8) session.  This session will include two, 2.5 hour, evaluation
blocks within the simulated intersection environment; one in the morning and
one after lunch. There will be several breaks, and lunch and snacks will be
provided as part of participation. You will participate with 3 other
participants.  An experimenter will be with you at all times.  Participants
will be paid $250 for full participation.

If you are interested in possibly participating, we need to go over some
screening questions to see if you meet all the eligibility requirements of
this study. Any information given to us will be kept secure and
confidential.

Please call us at 540-231-1277 to go through the telephone screening, which
will take approximately 15 minutes. Or you may send an email with subject
line "CROSSING" to:  <mailto:VTTIstudy at vtti.vt.edu> VTTIstudy at vtti.vt.edu
with your phone #, time and date that is best for us to call and we will be
happy to contact you.

Sincerely,

Anne Hall

Project Assistant

Virginia Tech Transportation Institute

3500 Transportation Research Plaza

Blacksburg, VA 24061

Email:  <mailto:ahall at vtti.vt.edu> ahall at vtti.vt.edu

Work: 540-231-1277

Please note that VTTI holds normal business hours. Any correspondence
received after 5:00pm will be attended to on the next business day.