[Njagdu] Minutes for our last NJAGDU conference call meeting

Richard Fox richardfox1 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 15 15:14:49 UTC 2017

Hi NJAGDU members and friends,

The minutes for our March 28 meeting are included in the body of this
message, as well as an attachment.

Rick Fox

New Jersey Association of Guide Dog Users
Minutes for Meeting on March 28, 2017

1       Opening

President Dan Facchini opened the meeting at 7:42 pm. This meeting was held
via phone conference call. Members in attendance were: Dan Facchini, Joe
Ruffalo, Jerilyn Higgins, Rick Fox, Trisha Ebel, Rosa Santiago, Anna
DeSantis, Phyllis Kaupas, Alice Eaddy, Ginger Kutch and Jasmine Ortiz.

2       Minutes

Anna moved and Jerilyn seconded a motion to accept the minutes of our
November 12 State Convention meeting , which had been emailed to the
members. The motion was approved unanimously.

3       Treasurer's report

Tricia reported that the balance for the treasury stood at $1,050.60.
Jerilyn moved and Rick seconded a motion to accept the report. The motion
was approved unanimously.

4       Fundraising

Rosa and Phyllis report that Petco only allows fundraising through the Petco
Foundation. The Petco Foundation only raises funds for life-saving
organizations, such as shelters and rescue organizations. Joe recommended
that individuals should check with local pet stores, to see if any of them
would allow fundraising activities by NJAGDU.

5       Uber testing

Joe Ruffalo reported that, as a result of NFB's settlement with Uber, our
national organization will engage in live testing of blind people's
experiences using Uber, especially those with guide dogs. Each affiliate
will need a coordinator to ensure testing is taking place in each state. An
online form will be available for anybody to fill out, whether a member of
the NFB or not. Ginger expressed interest in the coordinator position. Joe
and NJAGDU will publicize this testing program via our listserve and other
places.

6       Marion Gwizdala Presentation

Marion Gwizdala, president of NAGDU was our main presenter. He answered
questions and provided us with information.

A.     Criminalization resolution

Marion informed us that in 37 out of our 50 states, there are criminal
remedies available to service animal handlers who have suffered
discrimination by public accommodations. Criminal remedies are superior to
civil remedies, because law enforcement is involved, rather than lawyers and
civil suits. Victims have a right to a speedy trial, which means quicker
resolution and well-defined penalties for wrong-doers. A national resolution
was passed on this subject in 2010. The resolution is 2010-25.

There's a law on this subject making its way through the NJ legislature; it
has already passed the State Assembly.

B.     Updated NAGDU mobile app

An update to our mobile app should be ready by National Convention. New
features should include:

*         Android and iOS compatibility

*         Canadian laws will be available in the Canadian App Store

*         We will be able to share information with local law enforcement

*         By default, the law in force in your current location will be
displayed

Ginger suggested adding locations of relief areas in airports, since there
is currently no up-to-date app with this information

C.     Information and Advocacy Hotline

The NAGDU hotline is: 888-624-3841. Through this hotline, one can get
connected with a trained advocate, and learn about the rights and
responsibilities of service animal ownership.

D.     National Convention

There will be a NAGDU seminar on Monday afternoon and evening from
2:00-10:00 pm, and a NAGDU business meeting on Wednesday evening from
7:00-10:00 pm. A wide variety of topics will be covered of interest to the
veteran dog handler and the prospective handler alike.

There will also be a NAGDU table in the exhibit hall, where a variety of
items will be sold and information provided. Volunteers to staff the exhibit
table are welcome.

7       Other business

Joe commended Dan for a good meeting.

Ginger announced that the Seeing Eye online auction will start on April 3.

8       Adjournment

Rick moved and Ginger seconded a motion to adjourn the meeting at 9 pm. The
motion was approved unanimously, and the meeting was adjourned.

Respectfully submitted,

Rick Fox, Secretary