[Oabs] Music to brush up on for convention

Kaiti Shelton kaiti.shelton at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 05:09:12 UTC 2014

Hi gang,

I know the first time I went to a convention in 2012, I had no idea
what the lyrics to the federation songs were.  I'm sure Aleeha can
attest, and maybe she'll even agree with me, that I felt really stupid
mumbling along and trying to pick up the tune with Barbara Pierce at
the same table, who knows every word and tune forwards and backwards.
In case you want to look up the lyrics and listen to the songs I will
be leading at convention, here is a list.  I've listed the Federation
songs, as well as the ones I will be using for the Beatles in case I'm
just a geek for knowing all the lyrics to those.  These will not all
be used, but are what I have prepared and/or am working on.

Federation songs, to the tune of (if applicable).
Blind Workshop Blues.  Original tune
Happy Home for the Blind, to the tune of Home on the Range.  I
personally think this song is witty and hilarious, but I will have to
make sure no one from the BELL home or something will be there before
I sing it so I don't offend anyone.
I've Been Workin in the Workshop, to the tune of I've Been Working on
the Railroad.  I'd highly recommend listening to this one if you can,
because when I just read the lyrics I had a difficult time figuring
out how the words in the chorus line up.
Ode to the Code, to the tune of Jingle Bells.
The Bureau Song, to the tune of In the Garden.
The Library Song, to the tune of Battle Cry of Freedom.
The NFB Battle Song (Glory, glory, Federation), to the tune of Battle
Hymn of the Republic.
The Quiet Car Song, to the tune of Clementine/Found a Peanut.  Kind of
dismal, but also pretty witty, I think.
The Rehab Song, original tune.  If I remember correctly, this one is
one of Barbara's favorites.  It's really witty, and pretty short.
The Technology Song, to the tune of, I believe, the Toy song.  "It
went zip when it moved and pop when it stopped, whirr when it stood
still," if that jogs memories.  I'm sorry I don't remember the actual
tune, but it's played a lot around Christmas.
White Cane Freedom March, I'm not sure of the exact name of the song,
but it's a civil war march that I'm sure you all will quickly pick up
on.  sol mi sol, sol mi sol, sol mi sol la sol mi sol, for those of
you who know solfege.  That might get you started.
We Shall Not Be Moved, to I believe the tune of the song of the same
name.  It's 4 verses with a repeat of the last verse, and pretty easy
to pick up.
Note, I may not perform all of these, or all the verses from some of
the longer ones due to time constraints.  I am also going to most
likely do the old pac plan song.
If anyone knows where I can find some of the newer NFB songs to
introduce a few of them to the group, that would be awesome as well.

Beatles songs, tentative days for playing.
Deborah mentioned that it is possible that some talent from others in
the Federation will be interspersed throughout the Friday night
fundraiser, so here is a "set list" for that first.
***Here comes the sun*** (work in progress, would be a great opener if
I can get it learned on guitar.
Eleanor Rigby, done.
Let it Be, done.
***Getting Better*** Closing.  Done, but would omit the verse about
"Used to get angry at my woman" for the sake of being family friendly.

Other songs to be used when we need to fill time.
Imagine (I know it's technically not the Beatles, but it's from the
Lennon and McCartney song book).
Yellow Submarine with adapted lyrics.
"March together now"  Adapted lyrics of All Together Now
Can't Buy Me Love (working on guitar arrangement that is a bit more bluesy).
Hello, Goodbye (You say goodbye, and I say hello are the main lyrics).
Hey Jude
Ob-La-di, Ob-La-Da.  Working on it.
With a Little Help from My Friends,
Yesterday (Provided I figure out a good key on guitar, since the
chords are more complex, and I only know it on piano right now).