[Ct-nfb] Greetings, Bernadette

Chris Kuell ckuell at comcast.net
Wed May 25 14:45:12 UTC 2011

Hi Bernadette,

Welcome, and congrats to you and your daughter, the recent BC graduate.

These are very uncertain times for the blind in CT, with the consolidation of BESB into BRS, and the questionable leadership (or lack thereof) to come. However, 2 potential programs are probably worth considering for your son's future. CVI, of course, is complex and we are just beginning to understand it. I'm not positive if he would qualify for BESB services, but the consolidation of various agencies may actually work in his favor. Under the BESB division, there is the Business Enterprise Program, which trains blind and visually impaired people to manage and operate their own businesses, from small snack shops to vending stands all the way up to large government cafeterias. There is a wonderful young blind man in Greenwich with some cognitive challenges who operates a coffee/newspaper/snack stand at the Old Greenwich train Station and dows quite well, for instance.
Another option through BESB is supported employment, in which BESB will help him find work and train him to do various jobs at a place like Goodwill Industries. These positions are often part-time, and coaches are available to help maximize the employees capabilities.

Obviously, I don't know your son or his potential, but I'm sure that with persistance and a positive attitude, both him and you,he'll be able to obtain reasonable employment.

chris