[CT-NFB] Blind Americans Equality Day Proclamation

JIM MCCOLLUM j.mccollum64 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 16 00:31:37 UTC 2019

Hello, all. I forwarded Governor Lamont's Blind Americans Equality Day proclamation to the list, but I understand some folks are having trouble reading it. Let's see if this works.

State of Connecticut

By His Excellency Edward M. Lamont Jr., Governor:

An Official Statement

WHEREAS, for more than half a century our nation has set aside one day every year to honor the contributions of Americans who are blind or visually impaired, and in that time we have built a more just and more inclusive society. We will continue to build upon these successes and remove barriers to education, employment and community involvement; and

WHEREAS, every day, Connecticut residents who are blind or visually impaired enrich our communities and demonstrate the inherent worth of every person, and can also rightfully take pride in their contributions to the rich economic and social fabric of our community; and

WHEREAS, the government encourages employers, in both the public and private sector, to recognize the capabilities, skills and potential of citizens who are blind or visually impaired; and

WHEREAS, October 15thhas formerly been known as White Cane Safety Day across the United States since it was declared by Congress and the President in 1964; and

WHEREAS, white canes and guide dogs have come to symbolize not only enhanced personal freedom through mobility, but equal rights and equal access for persons who are blind, as well as reminders to society of the many successes of these hardworking individuals in their communities and places of employment; now

THEREFORE, I, Ned Lamont, Governor of the State of Connecticut, to celebrate the past achievements and future potential of all of Connecticut’s citizens who are blind or visually impaired, do hereby proclaim October 15, 2019 as

BLIND AMERICANS EQUALITY DAY

In the State of Connecticut.