[CT-NFB] guide dog users

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Fri Apr 10 01:06:22 UTC 2020

HI everyone,

Now that the drama part is out in the open, I’m curious about the original issue with guide dog schools. Could we possibly convert this thread into a discussion about that?

I have enjoyed taking part in the advocacy over the years on behalf of guide dog users, like the time in 2015 when a state senator from Meriden, with good intentions, tried to make guide dog schools dependent on health insurance companies for funding. I also remember the time, maybe around 2011, that we (mostly Beth, though) got an ordinance passed at the local level about quarantine requirements for guide dogs after her guide dog was forced to quarantine for accidentally biting someone while playing tug of war with a frisbee out of harness.

If there are any needs of guide dog schools or handlers that the Federation can help address, I would love to know. I don’t use a guide dog and probably never will, but I certainly want to make sure that our country and my home state are treating guide dog users well.

Aloha,

Justin

Justin Mark Hideaki Salisbury
he/him/his

Phone: 808.797.8606
Email: President at Alumni.ECU.edu<mailto:President at Alumni.ECU.edu>
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/justin-salisbury
ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Justin_Salisbury

“Once social change begins, it cannot be reversed. You cannot un-educate the person who has learned to read. You cannot humiliate the person who feels pride. You cannot oppress the people who are not afraid anymore.”

Cesar Chavez