[CT-NFB] Did Anyone Watch the Subminimum Wage Hearing?

Nathanael T. Wales ntwales at omsoft.com
Sun Jul 25 20:43:58 UTC 2021

Justin and All,

Thank you for this link.  I had already read the main text of Anil Lewis'
testimony and was very proud, and I looked forward for several days (until I
could get the time between work and family) to listen to his spoken
testimony and Representative Hayes' participation in the hearing.  They
certainly made it well worth the investment of my time.  I was troubled,
though, from the outset, at how partisan the hearing was.  This is not a
Democrat vs. Republican issue, and Federationists and other advocates who
are otherwise members of both parties have advocated for years and decades
for the end to Section 14C.  I wonder how we got here, and I ask what we can
do as advocates to bring us back to a discussion in which Republicans aren't
attacking mostly Democrats for having a flawed solution and asking that
"choice" (in this case to engage in what might appear to be work under a 14C
certificate) be preserved.

And I say that as a Republican since age 11 and one registered to vote at
age 18.  I say that as one proud that it was Richard Nixon who signed the
Rehabilitation Act and George H. W. Bush who signed the Americans With
Disabilities Act.  (And for those wondering what sort of Republican I am in
the party of the late 2010s and today, I will let you take a clue from my
previous sentence.)  And, indeed, I was immensely proud when Representative
McMorris-Rogers addressed our Washington Seminar Great Gathering In several
years ago-on this issue and coming from the perspective of both a parent of
a person with a developmental disability and a representative of a state
where 14C has been phased out successfully.  Her letter to the subcommittee
was the only evidence that any Republican is left who realizes that 14C is a
false "employment" "Choice".

I wonder what we can do to address and remove this partisan character that
has come into the discussion.  What may have happened to get us to this
point?  Are there lessons we can learn?  Ultimately, what can we do as
Federationists, along with fellow advocates, to end the partisan nature that
has permeated the discussion and get back to dealing with all of the facts
involved?  Like that Representative McMorris-Rogers' state successfully
phased out Section 14C as a counterpoint to the inadequate job repeated and
repeated about Maine?

I'd be delighted to hear everyone's thoughts.  My political party membership
shouldn't so strikingly bring me in conflict with my Federation membership
and pledge.

Very Best,

Nathanael