[CT-NFB] Did Anyone Watch the Subminimum Wage Hearing?

J.Mccollum64 at comcast.net J.Mccollum64 at comcast.net
Sun Jul 25 21:29:34 UTC 2021

Hello, Nathanael and all.

I have been a registered Republican since 1982, which was the year I turned eighteen. I voted for Reagan in 1984, and I've always voted for a Republican in presidential elections. I have occasionally voted for a Democratic candidate in local elections. I can remember when the ADA was signed into law by President George H. W. Bush, and it was a bipartisan effort. I wonder if such legislation could be passed in today's political environment.

As I'm writing this, HR 2373 has twenty co-sponsors, seventeen Democrats and three Republicans. I was disappointed to hear some of the things I heard from Republicans. Those who support maintaining 14(c) certificates simply are misguided, and what I find alarming is that they seem to be reciting a party line, and they appear to have no interest in facts. I felt this way in 2018, when the House passed the ADA Education and Reform Act, which, fortunately, went nowhere in the Senate.

I've always known that right-of-center views are not popular in the organized blind movement, but this has never bothered me. I've never felt that my political affiliation clashed with the ideas behind Federation philosophy.

During our recent virtual national convention, I heard some mud slinging on political issues, and it bothers me that our movement seems to be drifting toward being consumed by partisan politics, which could become a distraction from our purpose.

Nathanael, I think for now what we must do is to continue advocating for the interests of the blind, regardless of the political party of the legislators we are dealing with. I don't see me switching parties, but never say never.

Jim Y. McCollum
Board Member and Legislative Coordinator
j.mccollum64 at comcast.net mailto:j.mccollum64 at comcast.net