[CT-NFB] BESB Survey Link and Suggestion for the Last Question

maryanne.melley at gmail.com maryanne.melley at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 22:53:07 UTC 2022

Dear Federation Family,

BESB has sent out a survey for all blind individuals to fill out. Please
share this link with all your members and anyone you know who is not on the
list serve. Attached and below is an idea for an answer for the last
question. Naturally, all of you should modify it to put the answer in your
own words. Thank you for taking the time to tell Cheryl Cepelak and Amy
Porter what we need at BESB.

Survey Link:

https://form.jotform.com/220624751104041
<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fform.jotf
orm.com%2F220624751104041&data=04%7C01%7CCheryl.Cepelak%40ct.gov%7C313a8da75
2c844dbb6a308da135072f3%7C118b7cfaa3dd48b9b02631ff69bb738b%7C0%7C0%7C6378435
33485546038%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJB
TiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=sMBgw%2BWchyRCOHUaZojDdScnv5p%2BZ%2F
ZrYV8P0tg%2F6Ro%3D&reserved=0>

The NFB of CT reviewed the BESB survey at our board meeting this past
Saturday. Our biggest concern was the last question when it referred the
BESB leadership position as a "Manager." This is highly unacceptable. The
head of BESB should be a director or Commissioner, not merely a manager.
This is what we have been discussing with Amy Porter and our legislators
starting last fall. We want someone in that position who will have the best
interests of the blind community in his or her position. Someone who will
have passion for their job like Brian Sigman did. He went above and beyond
for us. He didn't just sit in his office but attended functions such as the
children's visually impaired fishing tournament, our state convention every
year whether he was speaking or not. Brian would stay for the whole event
including our banquet. He was always on the advisory board calls and
listened to what the members had to say. He also emailed Lucia when meetings
were happening, minutes were ready, job openings were available at BESB and
when the Pandemic began weekly updates on Covid from the Governor. The new
Director or Commissioner should have a deep and demonstrated belief in the
capabilities of blind people. This is the kind of person BESB needs, not
just a manager.

Best Regards,

Maryanne Melley

President

maryanne.melley at gmail.com

Together with love, hope, and determination, we transform dreams into
reality