[nagdu] rejected by the lions club?

Pickrell, Rebecca M (TASC) REBECCA.PICKRELL at tasc.com
Thu May 6 14:06:03 UTC 2010

Thank you. This is very interesting.

-----Original Message-----
From: nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Julie J
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 4:02 PM
To: NAGDU Mailing List,the National Association of Guide Dog Users
Subject: Re: [nagdu] rejected by the lions club?

I suppose individual owner trainers will have different experiences in
the
realm of self discovery, but here you go.

There is no one to defer to or come to help you.  It is all you all the
time.  I learned to be more self reliant than I thought I could.

When you trust your dog, you are really trusting yourself. Learning to
have
110% confidence in your ability to be a capable trainer is tough, but
extremely rewarding.  I remember chanting, "trust your dog, trust your
dog."
while I allowed Monty to truly guide for the first time.  It's like you
know
in your head that the dog knows what to do, but you haven't absorbed it
in
your soul yet.  that is a tough place to be and it stretches you a lot.

There will be days that you will lose all hope.  You'll think you are
making
amazing progress and then you'll look at what's left to do.  Or your dog

will be doing great work and then do something stupid that will shake
your
confidence.  Learning to pick yourself up, dust off and keep on keeping
on
takes courage I never knew I had.

Dealing with all the negativity is also pretty wearing.  It gets old
defending your right to choose to owner train.  I have learned patience.

Some at least, still have a ways to go yet.

On the flip side of the negativity is the "superblind" stereotype, *cape
not
included* that I also get.  I am asked to train other people's dogs
frequently.  When I tell people that dog training isn't magical, its
just
hard work and consistency...well, the responses usually indicate the
person
thinks I'm lying.

Probably the most difficult thing for me that I am still working on, is
my
serious issue with perfectionism.  I put an incredible amount of
pressure on
myself to have a perfect dog, be a perfect handler, never make a
mistake,
never look stupid and on and on.  Learning to ease up on myself has been

very hard.  I don't know if I could have learned about my tendency for
perfection in the same way through other means.

----- JMHO
Julie