[nagdu] Service dog helps control anxiety attacks

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Wed May 26 11:31:37 UTC 2010

Nicole,

You are right on both points.  Tags or even a vest or harness is not a
condition of access.  But I think it's rather stupid not to put something on
your dog to identify it and then wonder why you get asked so many questions.

And I have absolutely no clue why she thinks that she can take the dog into
a grocery store but not a restaurant or theater.  It makes no sense to me.
Owner trained dog's handlers have the same public access rights as any other
service dog handler.

It sounds like she did a good job of training the dog.  I do have a hard
time with pit bulls as service dogs though.  It's just my own perceptions
about the breed, I know.  I'd think for someone with anxiety and panic
attacks that severe though, you'd want to use a dog that wouldn't have the
potential for provoking added access challenges, which would most likely
increase your anxiety and panic attacks.

I don't know.
Julie