[nagdu] Diabetic alert dogs and how alert dogs are preventing a need for a guide dog!

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Nov 8 21:29:20 UTC 2012

Dar,

I don't understand why you are so angry about this man and his dog.  You
have said that the man told you the dog was a diabetic service dog and
you have said that the dog was well behaved.  That's all that is necessary.

You've also said that the other dogs there growled/barked at the
diabetic alert dog.  What about those dogs?  I'm assuming they were from
programs.  So being from a program doesn't exempt them from bad
behavior.   Why aren't you angry about their poor behavior?

At my state convention a few weeks ago another guide dog growled and
lunged at Monty.  the other dog was from a program.  Monty is owner
trained.  Was that incident Monty's fault because his presence and the
fact that he isn't from a program aggravated the other dog?  Are my
rights less because I don't have a card from a program and my harness
leash and collar aren't stamped with a fancy logo?

Monty is a very well trained guide.  No he isn't perfect.  Is any dog?
but I am proud of him and I am proud of myself for training him.  I will
not make excuses and Iam most certainly not ashamed of him.   I also do
not stutter and dance around the issue.  Monty is a trained guide dog.
 From what you've said the man's Saint Bernard was also a trained
service dog.

Businesses have the right to ask if a dog is a service dog and if the
person has a disability.  Businesses also have the right to exclude a
dog if it acts inappropriately.  From your own words I think the hotel
would have been within its rights to ask that the growling guide dogs be
removed.

It really has nothing to do with what apparel the dog is wearing or who
trained it or what breed it is or what the handler's disability is, what
matters is that the handler has a disability and the dog has been
individually trained to mitigate that disability and can do so without
acting a mess.  That's the key, TRAINING.

I have read all the messages on this topic.  I do think you have been
given good answers to your question.  I also think they weren't the
answers you wanted to hear and that is why you are upset.

Julie