[nagdu] Diabetic alert dogs and how alert dogs are preventing a need for a guide dog!

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Fri Nov 9 18:32:29 UTC 2012

Well said, Julie.

I've said it for years. There's absolutely nothing magic about guide dog gear. Nothing. There's no reason it can't be bought and sold like anything else. To treat it as though it were somehow special, or owning such equipment were somehow wrong, or it should be regulated like tobacco or firearms or marijuana is just ridiculous. Guide and service dog equipment doesn't transfer any specific rights or abilities to a dog. Indeed, it isn't even required that a service dog have any specific equipment. It's the training that counts. It isn't where the dog was trained, or by whom. Believe me, I've seen some pretty awfully behaved dogs come out of programs. Not the program's fault usually, because as we all know, it's our job to keep that training up, and keep the expectations we have of our dogs and ourselves high.

The guide and service dog programs are at least partially to blame for the perpetuation of this attitude that there's something magic or special about guide dog gear. If you ask, most of them won't tell you who makes their gear. Why not? Is it some deep dark trade secret, that, if it falls into the wrong hands, civilization as we know it will end? Why are trainers so horrified that gear can be had from somewhere other than from their controlled access to it? Some will even incorrectly state to you, in class, that your dog is not legally allowed if it doesn't have its harness on. (Which harness, by the way,comes from the school, who gets it from whatever mysterious source it gets them from). Of course, this is all nonsense.

All of this really needs to stop.

As for a certifying body, it sounds like a great idea, but I have so many problems with it, I don't know where to start. Most of these surround who will do the certifying, and how will the rights of owner trainers be protected. Also who will pay for this thing.

I don't deny that there's a problem with fake service dogs. Of course there is. There are no easy solutions. The best solution though is to be sure that business owners are educated as to both their rights and their responsibilities. Also, we ourselves need to be educated to our rights and responsibilities. Both sides need to understand that our right to be accompanied by a service dog is not absolute. We also need to understand that we have the right to be accompanied by a task trained service animal; it is not the animal who has the right to public access. I beat this drum often because it's an extremely important distinction.

FWIW, I regularly use a third party harness on my program trained guide dog. There are a couple reasons for this, none of which have a thing in the world to do with the program or the training.

Now someone tell me about this Canadian company.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY