[nagdu] stress, how much is too much?

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Tue Nov 13 13:34:28 UTC 2012

It sounds like the corrections are making things worse.  I don't know
your dog or how you were trained so I am hesitant to offer the
suggestion of not correcting.  What do you think would happen if you
just reworked the errors without the correction?  Perhaps he's nervous
about messing up and that is making him mess up even more?

Some things I've been doing at home with Monty that have helped his
overall stress level...
massage, I have the book on T-Touch, but mostly I've been just going
with Monty's reactions and doing more of whatever he likes
chews, chewing is a natural relaxer for dogs.  Monty loves bully
sticks.  They are expensive so I've been giving him rawhide some of the
time too.
teach a new skill, I've been teaching a recall to a whistle.  It's a fun
game for both of us.
loads of exercise, in the house, yard or free running when I can

I've been reading about soothing classical music.  It works for people
so I don't see why not.  I still need to get the technical details
figured out though.  My son is going to help, one of these days when we
can find an hour of time when we are both free.  Probably when we get
snowed in!

I hope you find what works for you.
Julie