[nagdu] Training dogs?

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Nov 5 12:30:51 UTC 2015

I used to teach obedience classes...for one summer.  I've also worked with
family members dogs, random neighbor dogs and of course all my own dogs.
Here's the skinny on training dogs.  You can totally do it, but people don't
want to pay a lot and they are horrid at following through when you're not
there. Then they don't see the results they want.  They blame you, make
excuses, the dog continues to be a beast and everyone walks away frustrated.

I totally admit, it could be just me.  Perhaps I was expecting too much too
quickly from people or I wasn't explaining well.  I don't know.  There is
another lady who does classes now, but she has her own facility.  She also
does grooming, boarding and day care because there just isn't enough money
in training alone.

Depending on your living situation, you might try doing doggie day care with
an add on of walks and training.   I think that could work because people
get to pamper their pets without any work on their part, which is what
people actually want, but won't admit to.

Good luck!
Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC