[nagdu] Blind man, guide dog banned from bus ride in Tampa | WFLA.com

Steven Johnson blinddog3 at charter.net
Thu Nov 26 03:35:39 UTC 2015

http://wfla.com/2015/11/19/blind-man-guide-dog-banned-from-bus-ride-in-tampa
/

Blind man, guide dog banned from bus ride in Tampa

News Channel 8 Reporter Melanie Michael
By Melanie Michael
Published: November 19, 2015, 9:02 pm | Updated: November 19, 2015, 11:08 pm

Marion Gwizdala and Sarge

TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) - Marion Gwizdala calls it disrespectful and
disappointing. Most of all, he says, it's discrimination. Marion and his
guide dog, Sarge, depend on public transportation around Tampa Bay. They
utilize the Hillsborough Area Regional Transit system.

On Wednesday morning, their commute became controversial. As the President
of the National Association of Guide Dog Users, Marion is accustomed to
fighting for the rights of the visually impaired. But that morning, he
admits, seemed typical and uneventful. He had no idea it would soon make
headlines. Marion was waiting, with Sarge by his side, for a HART transport
van.  It was a ride he planned two days in advance.
Sarge
Sarge

When the paratransit service arrived at Marion's Tampa home, the problem
began. When Marion and Sarge tried to get on board, he was barred access, he
says. "When I inquired as to the reason I could not open the door, I was
told there were two other people on the van," Marion explained to WFLA.

Stunned, he stood there while the driver called a dispatcher. Moments later,
he was informed that a passenger was afraid of dogs. So, Marion and Sarge
were left behind. "I'm frustrated because this should never have happened.
It's against the law," he told us. "You can't discriminate against someone
for their disability. I plan to fight this."

Sarge

Ironically, Marion was on his way to a conference where he was advocating
for the rights of the visually impaired. "I was going to a grant writing
workshop. . I just want to live an independent life. This hurts our ability
to do that.  It's hurtful, demeaning, undignified," he says. Marion has
filed multiple complaints with various agencies, including the Department of
Justice. He now has representation, is considering legal action and plans to
file a complaint with Hillsborough County as well.

When 8 On Your Side contacted HART, a spokesperson admitted this was not
handled properly. "I understand where he's coming from. We recognize that
things can be tweaked and better. We get that. This was an unfortunate
situation. I don't think [Sarge} is by any means a threat, but it is a large
dog. We know we need to make changes," Sandra Morrison from HART said.

The driver and dispatch operator are now under investigation. News Channel 8
was told that HART has entered into an agreement with Yellow Cab to help
with situations just like these. That agreement goes into effect in January.

Meanwhile, Marion wants changes within the HART agency. "They can't treat
people like this. It's happened before and it keeps happening. It's got to
stop," he said.