[Nd-talk] NFB of North Dakota Newswire, Vol. 1, Issue 2

Milton Ota mota1252 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 16:18:21 UTC 2017

National Federation of the Blind

North Daikota

NFB Newswire

Vol. 1, Issue 2

Hello Friends and Federationist:

A few weeks ago I sent out one of my newsletters telling you what is going
on with the National Federation of the Blind of North Dakota. I have decided
now to call it the NFB-Newswire. This is now Volume 1, Issue 2. I intend to
publish these newsletters when there is urgent news that I need to get out
to everyone. So, enjoy!

Critical Actions:

Call to Action: Opposition to H.R. 620, the ADA Education and Reform Act of
2017:
As you know, we ask members from time to time to contact their
representatives in Congress in support of legislation that would benefit the
blind community. But today I am calling upon all Federationists to contact
their representatives in opposition to H.R. 620. The phone number for the
Capitol switchboard is (202) 224-3121. From there, simply ask to be
connected with your representative. In addition, please call the chairman of
the House Judiciary Committee, Robert Goodlatte, at (202) 225-5431.

Here are some brief talking points to share with the offices of your
representative and Chairman Goodlatte: (1) the ADA was enacted in 1990, so
covered entities have had ample time to learn about and comply with the law;
(2) the ADA already contains an "undue burden" provision to protect covered
entities when the costs of making facilities accessible are too high; and
(3) Title III of the ADA (which applies to public accommodations) does not
allow monetary damages for noncompliance.

The National Federation of the Blind has joined with 216 other allied civil
rights organizations in opposing this bill. You can read our joint letter at
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/pdf/sign-on-letters/comments_on_hr620_
03162017.pdf>. If you want to know how this bill would affect us, consider
internet access guaranteed under the ADA and our comments filed with DOJ
last October
<https://nfb.org/ada-title-ii-internet-regulations-joint-sanprm-comments> as
just one example.

News:

National Federation of the Blind Comments on Department of Justice Notice of
Proposed Rulemaking on Section 504:
Last Thursday, the National Federation of the Blind filed comments regarding
the recent Notice of Proposed Rulemaking issued by the Department of Justice
on updates to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.  You can read our
comments at
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/pdf/sign-on-letters/nfb_comments_re_50
4_regs.pdf>.

Request for Focus Group Participants

Hello,

The National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute is partnering with
the Sports and Recreation Division and WE Fit Wellness to conduct research
regarding the barriers to exercise, nutrition, and access to medical
equipment and services faced by individuals who are blind and low vision.
Amber Sherrard will be the principal investigator. She and her research team
are in the process of recruiting participants for several focus groups that
will be conducted over-the-phone.  There are currently six focus groups
scheduled as follows;

.      March 27th at 10 am MST

.      March 27th at 6 pm MST

.      March 28th at 12 noon MST

.      March 28th at 7 pm MST

.      March 29th at 10 am MST

.      March 29th at 6 pm MST

Focus groups are an important part of this study, the data provided through
these focus groups will play an important role in the improvement of health
promotion programs and policies that affect people who are blind and low
vision.  Participation is completely voluntary and confidential.  To
participate, please email Amber at amber at wefitwellness.com
<mailto:amber at wefitwellness.com> to RSVP for one of the scheduled focus
groups, as space is limited.

Participants will have the opportunity to be entered for a chance to win a
$25 gift card. Four winners will be chosen. For more information, please
contact Amber Sherrard at amber at wefitwellness.com
<mailto:amber at wefitwellness.com> or (225)-892-3697.

 Yours in health,

Amber K. Sherrard

Graduate Intern
WE Fit Wellness
1837 S. Nevada Ave
PMB 243
CO Springs, CO 80905
W           866-543-6808
C            225-892-3697
amber at wefitwellness.com <mailto:mber at wefitwellness.com>
www.wefitwellness.com <http://www.wefitwellness.com>

Uber/Lyft Monitoring

The National Federation of the Blind will be conducting a Uber/Lyft
Monitoring program beginning May 8, 2017. I have attached 2 Word documents
to this e-mail message, one explains the program and the second document is
a sample of the form that needs to be completed online.

There will be an article in the April issue of the Braille Monitor which
will have more details.

For the state of North Dakota, we will be focusing on Uber.

If you are not aware, Uber is now available in Fargo, Bismarck and Grand
Forkes.

We will need at least 2 report a month for the next 2-years with a possible
3rd year extention. There is also monitary insentives for our affiliate.
This monitoring program is not limited to Federation members but any blind
person using a guide dog/service animal.

Access to Technology and Resources

The next teleconference meeting for the planning committee of the Access to
Technology and Resources will be on Wednesday, March 29, via Free Conference
at 8:00 PM. Please be on time!For all committee members, you will receive an
e-mail notice from me via Free Conference.

Next Meeting!

Save the date! ... Mark your calendar!

The next meeting of the National Federation of the Blind of North Dakota,
"Face-to-Face" will be on Saturday, April 8 from 12-Noon to 2:00 PM. Place:
The Fryn' Pan, 300 Main Avenue, Fargo.

for those who cannot be at the Fryn' Pan, you can join the meeting via Free
Conference by dialing in with the number (712) 832-8300 and enter the code
9381122# . Even if you don't receive the invitation, there will be enough
seats for you to call-in. Hope you all can make this meeting!

With Regrets!

A "Special Meeting" of the members of the National Federation of the Blind
of North Dakota was held on Wednesday, March 22, to releave Jessiaca Evans
as the Secretary/Treasurer and to elect someone to be Secretary/Treasurer
until September, when we will hold our annual convention and at that time
elect someone to finish out her term until 2018.

The members present on the conference call nominated Jesse Shirek to serve
as Secretary/Treasurer.

Should anyone have questions regarding this matter, they should contact
Milton Ota, President of the National Federation of the Blind of North
Dakota to discuss this.

Please feel free to forward this newsletter.

Milton Ota, President

National Federation of the Blind of North Dakota

Web: http://nfbnd.org/

909 8th St., S.

Fargo, ND 58103-2723

Cell: (701) 731-0511