[Nebraska-Senior-Blind] Urgent Change in Scholarship Submissions

Jamie K. Richey jamie.richey16 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 22:44:52 UTC 2023

Greetings,

Due to some technical difficulties with our website please send the
scholarship application and all supporting documents to

scholarship at ne.nfb.org <mailto:scholarship at ne.nfb.org>

The online form is no longer available.  A word document is attached to this
email and can be completed and emailed to:

scholarship at ne.nfb.org <mailto:scholarship at ne.nfb.org>

A list of other documents required is below. Thank you for your
understanding!

Deadline is February 15, 2023!

Are you a legally blind college student living in Nebraska? Do you know a
Nebraskan who is legally blind and is on the journey of fulfilling their
academic dreams? Have you or this person you might know ever wished to
interact with others who are simply living the lives they want as blind
Nebraskan's? If the answer to any or all of these is yes, then the National
Federation of the Blind of Nebraska (NFBN) annual scholarship program might
be for you or them! Eligible students from high school seniors beginning
their freshman year in the fall semester of 2023 up through graduate
students working on their PhD, and who are legally blind are encouraged to
apply. The scholarships are merit based and consider academic excellence,
community service, and leadership.

The first-place winner will be awarded a scholarship in the amount of $1,500
from the National Federation of the Blind of Nebraska.  The Omaha and
Lincoln chapters of the NFBN, along with the Nebraska Association of Blind
Students, will award two additional scholarships to the remaining finalists.

In order to be considered for any of the scholarships, finalists are
REQUIRED to attend an all-expense paid trip to the National Federation of
the Blind of Nebraska State Convention to be held in Lincoln, NE on March
23-26, 2023.  Anyone who has ever attended an NFBN convention will be proud
to attest to its ability to be a positive, life changing experience.

This is  what the 2020 top scholarship winner, Dannielle Schutz, had to say
following her attendance: "As a scholarship recipient I was given the
opportunity to attend the NFB of Nebraska convention. It was very
eye-opening to be around so many other successful blind individuals. I was
also connected with the NABS Nebraska division, which continues to support
me as a blind student in my career path and connect me with fellow blind
students."

Please e-mail the following:

(1) A letter telling us about your educational plans, vocational goals, and
awards. Tell us about yourself and how you deal with situations involving
your blindness. How will our scholarship help you?

(2) A copy of all your transcripts.

(3) Two letters of recommendation.

(4) Contact the NFBN Scholarship Chairman, Bob Burns, or the NFBN State
President, Jamie Richey, (see contact information at the bottom of this
e-mail) to notify him or her of your intention to apply for the scholarship.
Following your conversation, request that either the president or chairman
write a note to the scholarship committee on your behalf.  Failure to
complete this or any of the previously requested items in this process will
disqualify your application and eliminate you from consideration.

(5) Your completed application and attachments must be sent either
electronically or through the U.S. mail.  Please ensure that your hardcopy
materials are postmarked by February 15, 2023.

Send to:  Bob Burns

NFBN Scholarship Chairman

15356 Page Street

Omaha, NE 68154

Email to:  scholarship at ne.nfb.org <mailto:scholarship at ne.nfb.org>

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact:

Bob Burns, Scholarship Chairman

(402)210-5750

E-mail: scholarship at ne.nfb.org <mailto:scholarship at ne.nfb.org>

 Jamie Richey, President, NFBN

(308) 520-9024

 E-mail: president at ne.nfb.org <mailto:president at ne.nfb.org>

For information on the NFB of Nebraska state convention, or to register,
visit:

www.ne.nfb.org/2023 <http://www.ne.nfb.org/2023>