[nfb-db] Newby to the list

Soul Alibi S.W. soulalibi at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 20:59:42 UTC 2015

Greetings Anjelina,
Welcome to the list. It's always nice to meet someone new. My name is
Sterling. And I am also hearing impaired myself. I wear both a CI and a
hearing aid. While its wise to follow Scott's suggestions. Still many DBs
find it difficult and extremely challenging when crossing streets. One
element of concern is that some vehicle models are very quiet and hard to
detect with hearing. This is especially true for newer model cars. I saw a
petition in here recently regarding silent vehicles and the blind
community. Silent vehicles pose a danger to the blind community. If I
remember correctly, they are petitioning to get Senators to pass
legislation that require auto makers to install enough sound in vehicles so
that the blind can detect with hearing when walking near the streets and
crossing streets. On top of Scott's suggestions, if crossing the street
becomes too difficult and dangerous. You might consider finding someone to
accompany you.
I wish you good luck and safe travels on the street.

-Sterling