[Nfb-history] Convention Recordings

Tina Hansen th404 at comcast.net
Sat Sep 17 22:59:42 UTC 2011

I have the Victor Reader Stream, and as I see it, you have two options for
getting from that unit what you want.

There is a Soft Pack that you can buy for your Victor Reader Stream that
costs around $50. One of its features is the ability to record convention
meetings in mp3 format directly on the Stream. I was at a community
conference this morning, and it worked quite well.

If you don't have the Soft Pack, you can still record your meetings in the
Stream's recording format. The files will be around 11 megabytes per hour,
which can save you space on the SD card.

However, there is no way to convert the notes directly from its format to
mp3. If you have the HumanWare Companion on your PC, you can use that to
convert the meetings to wave, then use another program to bring the files
down to mp3.

I'd recommend going to the HumanWare site and grabbing the latest version of
the Companion, if you don't have it.

Also, I'd look into a program that converts wave files to mp3. Since there
are so many changes out there, I'd just do a google search for something
like Free wav to mp3 converter and see what you get.

If you're able to get the Soft Pack, it's worth your $50, just for the
direct mp3 recording.

Thanks.