[NFB-NM] Legislative Alert - May 7, 2018

Tonia Trapp nfbnewmexicosecretary at gmail.com
Mon May 7 15:16:29 UTC 2018

nfbnewmexicosecretary at gmail.com

www.nfbnm.org

From: NFBNet-Members-List [mailto:nfbnet-members-list-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Pare, John via NFBNet-Members-List
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2018 5:54 AM
To: nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Nfbnet-members-list] Legislative Alert - May 7, 2018

Dear Fellow Federationists:

We are making great progress on all of our legislative issues, especially the Marrakesh Treaty. We had a very successful hearing in front of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee on Wednesday, April 18. Scott LaBarre did a fantastic job offering our testimony. You can view the entire hearing at the following link: https://www.foreign.senate.gov/hearings/treaties-041818

The Senate Judiciary Committee will be voting on the Marrakesh Implementation Act, S. 2559, this week on Thursday, May 10. We need to build more cosponsor support for this bill before that date. Senator Grassley is the bill sponsor and the current cosponsors are:

Bob Corker (TN)

Dianne Feinstein (CA)

Kamala Harris (CA)

Orrin Hatch (UT)

Patrick Leahy (VT)

Bob Menendez (NJ)

If your senator is not on this list please contact him or her and urge them to cosponsor S. 2559, the Marrakesh Implementation Act.

We are also making excellent progress on the Access Technology Affordability Act (ATAA) in both the House (sixty-one cosponsors) and the Senate (ten cosponsors). The complete list of ATAA cosponsors is included at the end of this email. If your representative is not on this list, please urge them to cosponsor H.R. 1734, and if you don’t read your senators’ names, please contact them and ask them to cosponsor S. 732.

You can contact your senator or representative by calling the Capitol Switchboard and asking for the office in question. The number is (202) 224-3121. If you email your senators or representative, please copy me at JPare at nfb.org.

It is critical that we move on this quickly, so please strive to make your calls and send your emails as soon as possible.

I have also included a short sample ask that could be used for the items above:

“My name is [name] and I am a constituent of Senator [name]. I am calling to encourage the Senator to cosponsor the Marrakesh Implementation Act (S. 2559). The Marrakesh Implementation Act would expand reading options for millions of blind and other Americans with print disabilities. I also ask that the Senator/Representative cosponsor S. 732/H.R. 1734, the Access Technology Affordability Act. This bill will increase opportunities for blind Americans to get the access technology they need to secure education and employment.

Thank you for your support of blind Americans.

Sincerely,

[Your Name]”

Warm regards,

John

John G. Paré Jr.

Executive Director for Advocacy and Policy

(410) 659-9314, extension 2218 | Jpare at nfb.org

S. 732 Cosponsors:

Sen. Coons, Christopher A. [D-DE]

Sen. Hirono, Mazie K. [D-HI]

Sen. Cardin, Benjamin L. [D-MD]

Sen. Van Hollen, Chris [D-MD]

Sen. Peters, Gary C. [D-MI]

Sen. Blunt, Roy [R-MO]

Sen. Tester, Jon [D-MT]

Sen. Fischer, Deb [R-NE]

Sen. Shaheen, Jeanne [D-NH]

Sen. Inhofe, James M. [R-OK]

H.R. 1734 Cosponsors:

Rep. Young, Don [R-AK-At Large]

Rep. Grijalva, Raul M. [D-AZ-3]

Rep. O'Halleran, Tom [D-AZ-1]

Rep. Sinema, Kyrsten [D-AZ-9]

Rep. Khanna, Ro [D-CA-17]

Rep. Lofgren, Zoe [D-CA-19]

Rep. Napolitano, Grace F. [D-CA-32]

Rep. Roybal-Allard, Lucille [D-CA-40]

Rep. Schiff, Adam B. [D-CA-28]

Rep. Takano, Mark [D-CA-41]

Rep. Torres, Norma J. [D-CA-35]

Rep. Larson, John B. [D-CT-1]

Rep. Norton, Eleanor Holmes [D-DC-At Large]

Rep. Bilirakis, Gus M. [R-FL-12]

Rep. Demings, Val Butler [D-FL-10]

Rep. Lawson, Al, Jr. [D-FL-5]

Rep. Mast, Brian J. [R-FL-18]

Rep. Posey, Bill [R-FL-8]

Rep. Ros-Lehtinen, Ileana [R-FL-27]

Rep. Gabbard, Tulsi [D-HI-2]

Rep. Hanabusa, Colleen [D-HI-1]

Rep. Davis, Danny K. [D-IL-7]

Rep. Davis, Rodney [R-IL-13]

Rep. Foster, Bill [D-IL-11]

Rep. Gutierrez, Luis V. [D-IL-4]

Rep. Kelly, Robin L. [D-IL-2]

Rep. Quigley, Mike [D-IL-5]

Rep. Rush, Bobby L. [D-IL-1]

Rep. Schakowsky, Janice D. [D-IL-9]

Rep. Messer, Luke [R-IN-6]

Rep. Visclosky, Peter J. [D-IN-1]

Rep. Blum, Rod [R-IA-1]

Rep. Loebsack, David [D-IA-2]

Rep. Barr, Andy [R-KY-6]

Rep. Yarmuth, John A. [D-KY-3]

Rep. Poliquin, Bruce [R-ME-2]

Rep. Raskin, Jamie [D-MD-8]

Rep. Ruppersberger, C. A. Dutch [D-MD-2]

Rep. Capuano, Michael E. [D-MA-7]

Rep. McGovern, James P. [D-MA-2]

Rep. Moulton, Seth [D-MA-6]

Rep. Tsongas, Niki [D-MA-3]