[Nfb-seniors] {Spam?} Summer-Fall 2012 Newsletter

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Sun Oct 7 02:03:12 UTC 2012

Blind Senior Perspective

National Federation of the Blind Senior Division

  Summer-Fall 2012

Volume 13 Number 2

President Ruth Sager
7634 Carla Road
Baltimore, MD 21208
Telephone: 410-602-9030
e-mail: RSager at BISM.org

Submit inquiries to Ms. Sager at the above address.

Editor Pat Munson
10501 Lagrima de Oro NE apt 139
Albuquerque, NM 87111
Telephone: 505-291-3139
e-mail: <mailto:pat.munson at comcast.net>pat.munson at comcast.net

Articles for the National Federation of the Blind
Senior Division newsletter should be sent to: Ms. Munson.

Table of Contents

President’s Message
by Ruth Sager

Minutes, 2012 NFBSD Meeting
by Ramona Walhof, Secretary

Blind Flier Stuck With Fee
by Pat Pheifer

NFB Philosophy, a White Cane and a Determined old “Street Dog”
by Pat Munson

Coffee on the Med

by Nancy Burns

Schreiber Escapes Coming in Last
by Art Schreiber

Traveling with Road Scholars
by Alice George

 From Pat and Jack Munson.

That’s Braille!

by Maxine Schrader

Seniors in Charge Provides Training to People with Vision Loss
Thanksgiving
by Cindy Bennett

This and That

President’s Message

by Ruth Sager
PRESIDENT’S MESSAGE

Hello Senior federationists:

As you read this issue of _Blind _Senior
_Perspective, you will see what a fabulous job
our editor, Pat Munson has done in putting
together a diverse selection of articles. She was
very prompt and on top of everything.  And, I am
indebted to her for everything she does to keep
this publication on track and ready to go on time.

Judy Sanders has been a wonderful president to
this division and has guided me in many areas.  I
look forward to these ladies and to everyone
else, to assist me and make this devision
grow.  Diane McGeorge joins the Board as our new
treasurer and she has been a friend and mentor
for many years.  I am fortunate to work with so
many talented Federation seniors.

I also know that many of you in your communities
and states give of your time and talent to reach
out to the newly blind senior and encourage and
share your life experience with them and their
families.  Together, we all are making a
difference for this growing population of seniors who truly need our help.

At this year’s annual meeting of the senior
Division two of our speakers presented topics
that are of special interest to me­they shared
their work in facilitating conference call
meetings with seniors to discussed specific
topics on a consistent basis.  Seniors join the
call and can listen or participate as much as
they feel comfortable in doing.  I believe this
is a great way to reach many people who might not
otherwise be able or willing to attend local
chapter meetings or even meet with blind colleagues.

My goal for this year is to promote such senior
conference calls in as many areas as
possible.  Some conference calls are more of a
learning activity while others may have more
social emphasis.  In order to be successful, not
only are the seniors needed for these calls as
participants, but a facilitator with strong NFB
philosophy and practical knowledge of non-visual
skills are invaluable to facilitate discussions
and share practical tips and information.

If you are interested in developing such a
network of seniors by creating a senior
conference call in your locality or state, please email me at:
<mailto:rsager at bism.org>rsager at bism.org or call
me at home and leave a message if necessary at:
410-602-9030.

Joe Ruffalo from New Jersey has been in the
forefront of developing such a senior
network.  This fall his seniors are sponsoring
the state NFBNJ convention and hosting a senior
Possibilities fair on Friday morning before the
formal convention begins.  If New Jersey can do
this­so can we in our state, create a senior
division, develop conference call networking for
seniors and, perhaps grow to be able to put on a
statewide Possibilities Fair in whatever state we
happen to live. This is an attainable goal.

I look forward to working with all of
you.  Please share your thoughts and ideas with
me at the above contact information.

Have a wonderful fall season and, if your state
is hosting its annual convention, participate and
enjoy the friendship and talents of your senior colleagues.

Ruth Sager
President
National Federation of the Blind
Senior Division

Minutes, 2012 NFBSD Meeting

by Ramona Walhof, Secretary

The general business meeting was called to order
on July 2, 2012, at 1:55 by the President, Judy
Sanders, following rather active bidding on
auction items donated by seniors.  The meeting
started with the sale of two high-bid auction
items.  Minutes were approved as printed. The
treasurer's report was read by the president in
the absence of the treasurer.  Balances: savings
$2413.32; checking $493.45.  The report was approved.
Judy announced that she will not be running for
President, and Paul Dressel is not running for
Treasurer.  The new Treasurer will receive a Ray McGeorge wallet for use.
There has been a contest for naming our
newsletter.  The new name will be "Blind Senior
Perspective." This idea came from Pat Gormley of Maryland.

Speakers from American Foundation for the Blind
in Dallas were Judy Scott and Priscilla Rogers.
They again reminded us of their special services
unique to Dallas, and invited us to visit their
special house for seniors losing vision.

NFB President Marc Maurer came and auctioned off
two bottles of wine donated by Art Schreiber and
a pair of his own cufflinks that he donated and
used to wear.  He raised $195 for
us.  Dr.  Maurer welcomed us to the Convention and was very entertaining.

Milton Taylor from Utah spoke about dealing with
spouses of blind seniors. If the spouse losing
vision discontinues to carry on part of the
chores, the other partner can become very unhappy.

Mindy Jacobsen spoke about University without
Walls.  She also told about activities of the
Imagination Fund during this convention.  She
announced that 85944 is a number to text $10
donations to during this convention.

Ellen Ringlein spoke about items that may be
particularly interesting to seniors handled by
the NFB Independence Market. The recorder by
Wilson and the Pen Friend are two items which are
rather simple to use and allow the user to keep data in recorded format.

Adelmo Vigil spoke about independent travel for
seniors. Some blind seniors need a support cane
besides the white cane and they might need to
follow walls and so on because of hearing loss.

There was a panel discussion on
transportation.  Its members were Dave Hyde, Ruth
Sager, and Mary Alexson, BISM student, who spoke on her training.

Eileen Ley asked people to participate in a
survey for a fee of $10; contact her in room 508.
She is working on a project which would provide
prescription data verbally recorded on each
bottle which is very helpful for blind seniors.

Duncan Larsen from Colorado spoke on senior
programs there, and her student Geraldine Jones spoke on her experiences.

RESULTS of the NFBSD election: President Ruth
Sager, MD; First VP Art Schreiber, NM; 2nd VP
Judy Sanders, MN; Secretary Ramona Walhof, ID;
Treasurer Diane McGeorge, CO.  Ramona Walhoff
moved; Art and Diane seconded that we give $200
each to the tenBroek Fund, the Sun Fund, the
Jernigan Fund, the White Cane Fund, and the
Imagination Fund.  The motion passed.

Some of the auction items were: hand-knitted bags
full of products from Idaho, home-grown dried
herbs, a wind-up music box, candle with lid,
coffee, soap, bags full of candy and nuts,
homemade cherry brownies, home-made peanut
brittle and many others. We thanked the generous
donors. The division collected around
one-thousand dollars in auction and dues money.

The meeting adjourned about ten minutes til five.

Respectfully submitted,
Ramona Walhof, Secretary

Blind Flier Stuck With Fee
by Pat Pheifer, Star Tribune

Editor's Note: This article appeared in the
regular Whistleblower feature of the Minneapolis
Star Tribune on September 4, 2011.

Since Delta is the dominant airline here with its
purchase of Northwest, this is relevant to all of
us. If you use Delta's telephone reservations,
remember Chris Danielsen's statement.)

Susan Barton is legally blind and uses a
wheelchair, a result of her 40-year battle with
multiple sclerosis. But she doesn't let her
disability hamper her love of traveling with her husband.

So her dander rose when she tried to book two
tickets on Delta Air Lines for a long weekend in
Chicago this past June and the airline told her
she'd have to pay an extra $50  $25 per person to
buy the tickets over the phone instead of online.

After Barton explained that she was blind and
couldn't use the website, the call center
representative insisted that the fee couldn't be
waived.    That person's supervisor said the same
thing. So did the two people she called at the airline's Atlanta headquarters.

"For years I've been arranging our travel and
doing it by phone," said Barton, 64, of
Minneapolis, who retired as director of human
resources for the Prudential Insurance Co.
"Northwest charged me $5 extra for arranging
those tickets by phone.   [Delta was] going to
charge me $25 extra for each ticket. That just
seemed, quite frankly, outrageous to me."

"I asked, isn't there an exception for someone
who's handicapped? Their response was, isn't
there a family member or friend who could do it for you?"

Barton said her husband, Vincent, a retired
Prudential executive, will be 80 later this month
and isn't adept at navigating the airline's website.

When Whistleblower called Delta's corporate
communications office in Atlanta, spokeswoman
Ashley Black said the four people Susan Barton spoke with were wrong.

"Our policy is that any customer with
disabilities that cannot use delta.com, that fee will be waived," Black said.

Black later sent an e-mail saying, "While it's
unfortunate this incident occurred, we are using
this opportunity to improve our
processes.   We're working with our agents to
ensure that they are aware of and in compliance with this policy."

Chris Danielsen, director of public relations for
the National Federation of the Blind, said
Delta's refusal to waive the fee violated federal
law. Under the Air Carrier Access Act, an airline
must waive call-center fees for a blind person if
they cannot use the airline's website. An airline
also must charge a blind person the same fare
that is available on the Internet, he said.

Delta is hardly alone among airlines for refusing
to waive fees for a blind passenger. Jonathan
Lazar, a professor of computer science at Towson
University in Maryland, led a study of airlines'
compliance with the Air Carrier Access Act. The
study, which did not include Delta, found four
U.S. airlines whose websites could not be read
with screen readers, and thus were not accessible to the blind.

When researchers posed as blind customers, three
of the four airlines refused to waive the
call-center fee in anywhere from two to six of the calls.

Last week, a quick survey by Whistleblower found
that American Airlines, United Airlines and U.S.
Airways all charge a $25 per ticket fee to make
reservations by phone, but all said that fee is
waived for customers with disabilities. Southwest
Airlines said it does not charge a fee to make phone reservations.

Barton's case is just one in the string of
incidents in which Delta was faulted in its
treatment of passengers with disabilities.

Earlier this year, Whistleblower described how
Carrie Salberg, who has muscular dystrophy and
uses a ventilator to breathe, was kicked off a
Delta flight from New Orleans to the Twin Cities
after the airline told her she couldn't bring her
medical equipment on board. A month earlier,
Delta had told her that her equipment met the company's requirements.

In February, Delta was fined $2 million by the
U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) after the
agency reviewed 5,000 complaints filed by and on
behalf of disabled passengers. The fine was the
largest the DOT has ever assessed against an
airline in a case not involving safety violations.

Susan Barton said she and her husband travel four
or five times a year, spending a
few weeks in Palm Desert, Calif., Sanibel, Fla.,
or Hilton Head, S.C. Most of their flights are on
Delta, and, once they get to the airport, the
airline has been "really very accommodating," she said.

NFB Philosophy, a White Cane and a Determined old “Street Dog”

By Pat Munson

Editor’s note: I wrote the following for a White
Cane Day writing contest. Although the following
took place decades ago, I thought our readers might find it interesting.

I yanked myself out of my chair and marched to
the door. I grabbed my long white cane and opened
that stupid door. At that moment I hated all my
friends because they had one by one told me that
they were not going to drag me around one more
time. They had seen other blind students on our
college campus getting around just fine with a
cane, and they said I could do the same.

But, the same friends had not met all my pals
from the school for the blind. They constantly
made fun of blind persons who used a cane. They
shuffled around as best they could but thought
they were really cool without that dumb long
white cane, which just told all the world that
the user was blind. They had gained their
spectacularly sad attitudes from their teachers
and others at the school, and I did too.

Everything was against me on that fateful day; no
one was there to help me cross four streets and
board the first of three buses which would get me
to the school where I was to student teach. Even
the weather was at its worst. I did not even have
the door open all the way before the wind grabbed
that cane and almost whipped it out of my
hand.  The door slammed behind me and so did part
of my negative attitudes about blindness.

At the door I had made up my mind that I was
going to make this trip by myself or die trying.
My career as a teacher would not exist if I did
not have the guts to get to that school and act like a competent blind adult!

By the time that first bus arrived, my dress,
shoes, long hair and makeup were ruined from the
wind and rain, but what did it matter, my body
was still intact and that wonderful, long white
cane was doing what my friends used to do for me;
it provided me with my tool for independence.

I remember finally climbing up those school steps
and thinking that I had made it. I looked as if I
had just climbed out of the shower, but my goal
was to meet the faculty and my master teachers.

I took off my dripping coat in the office and
hung it up. I rang out my long soggy hair and
entered the faculty meeting. Later the teachers
told me that they had never seen anyone with such
a determined look on her face. They did not know about the NFB.

I did complete that student teaching and got a
job, but only because of the work of many in the
National Federation of the Blind.

Until a few years earlier, those in charge of
teacher credentials said normal vision was
required to teach in the public schools in the
United States. NFB members knew this was simply wrong.

Many, many members of NFB introduced legislation
in every state eliminating the vision requirement; this took years.

I was one of the first to take up that white cane
and march by myself into a job in competitive
employment in the public schools in the USA.

As a member of the National Federation of the
Blind I gained a job, blindness skills and the
philosophy to lead a normal life in the
mainstream of society.  Sometimes it is not easy
to be a Federationist when sighted folks
endlessly try to think they know what is best for
us, but I love being a part of the mainstream so
I do what I must to change people’s attitudes
about what it really means to be blind! I’m like
a very determined old “street dog”, but I have an
NFB smile on my face! As Dr. Jernigan said many
times, “We know who we are and we will never go
back.” Now I wish I could thank all those NFB
“street dogs” who helped me be what I have been and am!

Coffee on the Med

By Nancy Burns

Editor’s note: The following came from the NFBNM newsletter.

My heart was doing the happy dance as we packed
and prepared to fly to Barcelona, Spain which
would be the first stop in our dream
vacation.  We stayed three days in Barcelona;
tasted tapas, sea food, and sampled Ca va, a
Spanish champagne.  We also strolled down Las
Ramblas purchasing souvenirs and stopping for a
cold drink and more tapas.  On the third day in
Barcelona, after taking several tours, we sailed
into the Mediterranean.  Many exciting ports and
adventures were soon to be experienced.
The huge cruise ship sailed past a lighthouse on
the port side and glided into one of the most
beautiful ports of our extensive cruise.  Kotor,
Montenegro was a mix of modern and ancient
buildings.  The backdrop of Kotor was steep and
tree-laden mountains.  Don and I left the ship
and walked toward the city.  The main business
section was in an ancient castle, complete with
drawbridge and moat.  After making some
purchases, we stopped in a café for lunch.  The
menu seemed to be mostly pizza and sandwiches so
we chose a pizza, not real sure as to what
exactly we would have.  I opted for lemonade
which was warm and quite tart.  After asking for
ice, a chilled glass was as good as it got.  The
pizza turned out to be pepperoni and quite
tasty.  In typical Medieval style, Kotor’s narrow
streets and squares were planned with dual
purpose; aesthetic beauty and an attempt to thwart possible invaders.

Each day we docked in a new location which
provided us with another chapter in our fairytale
cruise. Initially, we were concerned that 21 days
at sea might be a bit longer than we wanted.  It
proved to be just right.  It was quite long but
not too long. Residing on a cruise ship for three
weeks is exciting enough, but to throw in 16
cities in 7 different countries was just the frosting on the vacation cake.

The weather was warm and quite humid.  The
Mediterranean was calm throughout the
trip.  While at sea we enjoyed ship-board
activities and mixing and mingling with other
passengers.  During one of the first evening
meals, we had the good fortune to sit across the
table from a delightful couple who we soon
considered as friends.  We hung out with Ben and
Marilou and went on some of the same group
tours.  A nightly ritual for Don and me is to
stand at the fantail and listen to the powerful
movement of the ocean beneath.  Ben and Marilou
would often find us at our favorite spot where we
would stop and discuss the day’s events or make plans for the following day.

One of the organized tours was the unforgettable
trip to Pompeii.  This was the most awesome and
the most challenging tour of them all.  We were
advised that we would be walking on cobblestones
which we felt was of no consequence.  The streets
of Pompeii are definitely not cobblestones.  We
stepped from boulder to boulder, stepping up
sizable steps and dropping down from ledges.  The
term (cobbleboulders) was coined.   Our cane skills were tested to the max.

We were surrounded by historical tragedies.  Mt.
Vesuvius threw molten lava on the city for two
days and two nights in 79AD.  Much of this
hardened lava has been chipped away revealing
homes, stores, and other buildings.

Our tour guide for this trip was knowledgeable
and he shared a wealth of information.  At the
end of the tour he provided us with some of his
philosophy saying that he enjoyed drinking his
morning coffee while looking out into the
ocean.  He told us “It is important to enjoy life
to the fullest.”   Don and I couldn't agree more.

Civitavecchia was the port in which we docked in
order to get to Rome, which was amazing.  During
the hour and a half drive to Rome we passed many
olive groves, vineyards, fruit trees and
vegetable gardens, reminiscent of the Southern
California vineyards.  Our first stop after
reaching Rome was the iconic Trevi Fountain where
we did the traditional coin toss.  I was so
looking forward to entering the Sistine Chapel
and was honored to do so.  My disappointment was
because of the crush of people who shared my
desire to visit the Chapel.  We were also in awe
of the magnificence of the Pantheon and the breath-taking view of the Coliseum.

Ancient ruins, a blend of colorful cultures and
languages greeted us at every port.  Valetta,
Malta provided us with a page of history in the
making.  We had observed a number of military
planes flying overhead and learned that they were
NATO bombers refueling in Malta on the way to the
Liberian conflict. The ports in Greece presented
another blend of beauty along with a look into
incredible historical significance.  Katakolon
was the port stop for Olympia, the location of
the Doric-style Temple of Zeus built in 472
BC.  Near the temple of Zeus is the stadium which
seated 40,000 spectators.  The first Olympic games were held in 776 BC.

Several more ports in Italy were explored; each
with an abundance of beauty and history.  Our
final port was Marseille, France.  As
anticipated, the food was wonderful and the
people were friendly and helpful in spite of the
language barrier.  As the ship steamed toward
Barcelona, and the end of our fantastic cruise,
we reminisced about ancient churches, castles,
statues, and that well-known Leaning Tower, we
knew we had only touched the surface but realized
that we had a glimpse of that part of the world
we would never forget.  We repacked but this time
with dirty clothes, souvenirs, olive oil and
limoncello.  We then met Ben and Marilou on the
Lido Deck for that final cup of coffee before the
long flight to Albuquerque. We also brought home
with us a treasure trove of happy memories and
the contact information for some new
friends.  This was our 8th cruise and one of the most unforgettable.

Schreiber Escapes Coming in Last

by Art Schreiber

Another Duke City Marathon and its many events is in the record book.
I, for the second year, entered and finished the
20 K walk.  Last year the walk was a half
marathon, which is somewhat farther than a 20 K.

Last year I finished 209 out of 209 entrants, but
was first in my age group because no one else was
in my age group.  My time last year was 5 hours
and 57 seconds.  This year my time was 4 hours
five minutes and 14 seconds.  Race officials this
year eliminated walkers being forced to walk on
the dirt path adjacent to the bike path North of
Central Avenue.  This year walkers were routed
South on the bike path through the bosque and for
us 20 K'ers we turned around at Rio Bravo.  This
year, in addition to my friend Rick Walsh guiding
me I had another friend, Janet Trujillo, join
me.  Janet is a physical therapist at La Vida
Llena, where I live.  I told her she would make a
great prison guard who yielded a large
whip!  Janet kept calling out, "Art, you're
slowing down.  Pick it up."  During the final
mile, my nearly 84 year old knees were screaming
and telling me to quit.  Janet and Rick kept
urging me on to the finish line.  Next year I
hope a few NFB'rs will join me and my goal is to get under 4 hours.

Final stats:  150 individuals finished the walk
and I was 141.  This year a 30 year old woman
came in last.  One individual was 40 plus me at
83.  Come on, get your parents and grandparents to join me next year.

Traveling with Road Scholars

by Alice George

One advantage of being a senior is having the
opportunity to participate in Road Scholar
Programs – formerly Elderhostel. Traveling the
world with others with similar interests promotes
lifelong learning, personal growth, and new
friendships. Each year, thousands of seniors
stretch their minds and bodies by engaging in
stimulating, educational, and challenging
adventures throughout North America, abroad, and
afloat. Shouldn't blind seniors do the same? Yes,
of course, they should, and I did.

After months of researching travel agencies and
programs, I decided to explore Seattle, WA for a
week with Road Scholars. A distant long time
friend from San Diego joined me there. However,
prior to my arriving in Seattle, the tour guide
strongly voiced her apprehension about a blind
person joining the group. She felt she may have
to take care of me and lead me around the city
for a week, which she could not do. I learned
from the Road Scholar staff they had never
knowingly had a blind or low vision participant,
nor had they ever considered offering accessible
programs for blind seniors. It was obvious I had
to educate the tour guide about the abilities of
blind people so I could participate in the
program for which I had already enrolled and
paid. Months prior to the program starting, I
called the tour guide three times and emailed her
numerous reassurances about my abilities to
participate in the program. The tour guide also
called my friend to be sure she would provide
whatever assistance I might need. Finally, the
tour guide accepted me into the Seattle program, but with reservations.

When departure day arrived, I was ready to go
with a detailed plan in hand. Pre-arranged
airline assistance directed me through security,
plane changes, and to departure gates or baggage
at three different airports on my way to and from
Seattle. The first night in Seattle, the group of
23 Road Scholars gathered for dinner and
introductions. I introduced myself as a blind
woman, described my life and where I live, and
stated some courtesy rules of blindness.
Throughout the following week, most participants
were considerate, followed my courtesy rules of
blindness, and kindly offered their help. Only
one person (an older lady) tried to speak for me,
tell me what to do, and take care of me. She
refrained from doing so after I thanked her for
wanting to help and explained that I could do
things just fine on my own. Several participants
avoided me and my friend; however, these people
were observed as being quite unfriendly to everyone else.

Each morning began with an early buffet breakfast
in our downtown Seattle Red Lion Hotel.
Activities from early morning to late evening
focused on learning about Seattle’s history,
heritage, art, and culture. We toured many
museums, Pioneer Square, Pike Market, Freemont,
West Seattle, the Space Needle, the Boeing Plant,
and much more. By week’s end, we had fully
explored Seattle by foot, bus, rail, and water taxi.

As the week ended, several participants thanked
me for joining the group and shared their
expanded awareness of blindness and the abilities
of blind people. It was obvious I had changed
some people’s view of blindness and also gained
some friendships along the way. The tour guide
was now friendly and even treated me like an
equal in the group. Upon departure, she thanked
me for joining the group, said she had learned a
lot about blindness, and encouraged me to enroll
in another one of her programs.

The Road Scholar experience was very exciting,
stimulating, and enriching. Most participants
treated me as an equal in the group and were
comfortable practicing my courtesy rules of
blindness. I did not expect nor receive any
special treatment from anyone. I was totally
dependent on my skills of blindness, and they
were tested throughout the week. As a result, I
improved my travel skills, mastered unfamiliar
environments, and gained more confidence. As is
often true, the experience is what we make it!

We look forward to traveling, learning new
things, and meeting new friends just as much as
sighted seniors do. If you are interested in
travel programs for seniors, please call Road
Scholar at 1 800 454-5768. Current Road Scholar
Programs can be found at
<http://www.roadscholar.org/>www.roadscholar.org.
Come on
 let’s travel and have fun, too!

 From Pat and Jack Munson.

This past year has been unique! After all the
years in CA, we moved to NM where we plan to
stay. Moving is for someone else! We had to
change banks, find doctors, a dentist, a lawyer
and on and on.  The following paragraphs were
written as they occurred; I should have dated them, but was too lazy.

This past week has been very interesting. Besides
our usual shopping and classes, we went on the
bus to the New Mexico State Fair. It had been
many years since I had been to a fair of any
kind. Oh, the weather has cooled to about 15
degrees C in the morning and about 20 in the
afternoon. We have had some rain, but not enough.
We were worried we might be rained out the day we
were to go to the fair, but the skies cooperated
nicely. The first place I wanted to go was the
petting zoo. After asking a number of people we
finally found it. We petted a number of sheep,
goats and a small horse. The highlight was
Goldylocks, a beautiful cow. She was as sweet as
a cow can be! Then we hit the food stands. We
bought four pieces of different pies, they had
about twenty-five, Indian tacos which are made
with their special fried bread, we ate those
there, and more sweets we brought home and froze.
By the time the rides started up we had to get
back on the bus so Jack will have to hit them
next year. There were many other animals, but
they were not available for petting and many
buildings housing fine arts, flowers and you name it!

Also, next month we hope to attend an opera here.
The symphony ran out of money, so they are now
trying to find funding so they can continue. Boy,
these are hard times for so many.

Next week will be the hot air balloon fiesta. You
most likely can find film of it on the internet.
This morning the balloons could not ascend; it
had rained most of the night. Speaking of rain,
we witnessed the first storm which made us think
we were back in CA. The temperature dropped to CA
levels and it continued to rain for hours. This
is so new to us, that is to have such dramatic
weather changes. Jack thought he would like to go
to the balloon fiesta until he saw all the folks
at the balloon park on TV. He is not one who
likes being in big groups of people so he is
watching them out our window as they drift by.
There have been some balloons that have drifted
close to where we live. They are many different
colors and shapes. We think one had to land near
us but it was behind some trees so we are not sure.

Our first trip out of the city limits was to a
very small town called Madrid, on what is known
as the Turquoise Trail. This road was made by the
Spanish centuries ago. This small town was, like
many, a mining town. All the coal has been
extracted so now it is an art center. One can
purchase most anything painted or made by hand.
One outdoor business we really liked sold
fountains of all sizes. Most were made of stone.
They were all turned on so the sound was very
interesting. We are thinking of buying one for
our patio. One interesting feature is many
establishments have their sleeping old dog out
front. Of course, I had to pet each one.

We had lunch in a very old wooden building. It is
what you would expect; all the tables and chairs
were old wood which made them quite homey. The
southwestern menu had lots of tasty items. It was hard to make one selection.

Besides walking along the two-lane road, Jack and
I journeyed up a number of side roads that seemed
to lead to private homes. We found a B-and-B so
thought we might make a return trip before
winter. The only problem would be not eating too much of that wonderful food.

That’s Braille!

by Maxine Schrader

Editor’s note: The following is from the Winter
2012 newsletter of the NFB of Minnesota.

My six-year-old great granddaughter A’mya is the
inspiration for this article.  Whenever she sees
Braille ­ in elevators, on doors, signs, ATM
machines, and so forth ­ she loudly and proudly
announces to the public “that’s Braille; my great
grandma can read it!”  What a little advocate she is.

Eighty-one years ago at the age of five I touched
my first Braille dots, and the magic began and
will never end.  Just like A’mya, I said, “that’s
Braille!”  At her age, I could read and the whole
neighborhood knew it.  The kids gathered on my
porch and I read the book Old Mother Westwind and
the Seven Little Breezes.  After all these years,
I can recall that book and wonder if it still
exists.  I made sure that everyone on my block
knew about Braille and its importance to my education.

Back in those days, the textbooks were all
Braille ­ no tapes, computers, CDs or any of this
modern stuff, so there was no question or fuss
about teaching Braille in the schools.  Everyone
learned to read and write Braille and were all the better for it.

As a teenager, I read Gone with the Wind, the big
book of that time.  Because of Braille, I could
stay current on the latest books and magazines and never miss a beat.

Now at 86, I continue to be independent and
people kid me about all the Braille-marked things
in my home:  appliances, files, clothing, canned
goods, albums, even lipsticks for their various
shades.  You name it; Braille is there.

Now when A’mya says “that’s Braille; my great
grandma can read it,” I say “YOU BETCHA!”

Seniors in Charge Provides Training to People with Vision Loss

A trip to the grocery store? An email
communication? Not a big deal, right? Not the
case for seniors with vision loss. Keeping up
with changes in technology is a challenge. Add
blindness, vision loss, or a variety of other
sight-related diseases to the equation, and the
outcome is typically frustration and discouragement.

But not for the seniors who participated in
Seniors in Charge, a three-day program offered by
the Colorado Center for the Blind at no cost.
Seniors with varying degrees of vision loss took
part in mobility, home management, and technology
training. "The goal of the program is to keep
visually impaired seniors living independently
for as long as possible. If blindness is the only
factor impacting the person, there is no reason
he or she can’t live independently," says Duncan
Larsen, senior services coordinator for the
Center. Participants received an introduction to
Braille, adaptive technologies such as electronic
readers and screen readers, then traveled with
the assistance of a white cane, a tool used by
the blind to navigate their surroundings safely.

Often seniors feel disconnected to friends and
family. With technology taking over routine,
daily communication, they often feel left out.
Colorado Center for the Blind steps in and
provides basic training in these skills. "I
didn't think I could even use a computer, and now
I can use one without a screen," said one participant.

"This is often the case with the participants.
They come with all sorts of misconceptions of
what they can and can't do. They leave the
program with a new understanding of what
possibilities exist," explains Larsen. In
addition to technology class, several outings
were planned throughout the three days. A trip on
the Light Rail from the Littleton station to
Downtown Denver. For some, the trip was filled
with firsts--the Light Rail, the 16th Street Mall
Shuttle, an escalator, and the first time in a
crowded buffet line navigating a tray of food--all without sight.

Inclusion of family members is a key component of
the program. On the final day the participants
prepared a meal for their family and friends.
Seeing what their loved ones accomplished in such
a short time provided hope and a glimpse at what
can be achieved with practice, the proper tools, and training.

The program's success was summarized best by
Brent Batron, youth services coordinator: "Our
seniors in this week's program have raised the
bar for all of us here at the Center." Telling a
group of twenty and thirty-somethings they had
been outdone by a group old enough to be their
parents or grandparents provided ample motivation
for them to work harder. More Seniors in Charge
training sessions are planned. For information
call (303) 778-1130 or visit
<<http://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/Publications/bm/bm12/bm1202/www.cocenter.org>www.cocenter.org>.

Thanksgiving

By Cindy Bennett

Editor's note: Cindy Bennett is from North
Carolina and has recently graduated from
Blindness: Learning in New Dimensions (BLIND),
Inc. In this article, she writes about the annual
Thanksgiving feast the BLIND, Inc. students
prepare for their instructors and how that activity builds self-confidence.

Thanksgiving with my family has always been just
that, very family oriented. We used to travel but
have taken to hosting the dinner and housing up
to 16 guests in our 1900 square foot home. So
this meant that Thanksgiving was filled with
wonderful chaos, chaos that often left me at a
loss for how I should help out. I took to the
tasks I knew like the coveted potato peeling or
before-dinner-even-begins dishwashing. I had
always been curious about turkey preparation, but
in my teen years, and OK maybe still, I had never
been ambitious enough to wake up at 5:00 A.M. or
courageous enough to interrupt the chaos to ask
questions. So everyone left the turkey roasting
to mom, and the turkey frying to the boys outside.

At Blindness: Learning in New Dimensions (BLIND),
Inc. however, the students prepare a giant
Thanksgiving meal for the staff, and the staff
repays us with a holiday dinner. So we began with
a plan to map out a menu, decide who was going to
do what, and what to prepare beforehand. We
wanted to fry and roast turkeys, and I was
excited to assist with both processes.

I first carved a turkey and realized that the
artistic connotation that carving gives is not
accurate. It was actually quite easy to feel
where the various parts of the turkey such as the
legs and wings bent and joined with the
mid-section. I cut the legs, thighs, and wings off before slicing the breast.

The morning of the dinner, I prepared the fryer
for turkey. I examined its pieces before hooking
up the propane tank. It was quite simple to feel
each end and connect the tank to the fryer. I
have worked with matches, but I was a bit wary of
lighting one so close to the propane tank. I used
the match to find where I needed to light before
doing so, and I listened for the fryer to light
before removing the match. The oil has to heat to
325 degrees, and for the amount we used it took
about 45 minutes. Typically, before you fry a
turkey, you displace it in water to figure out
how much oil you need. You can do this by filling
the fryer with water the day before, and placing
the thawed turkey, still wrapped, inside the
water. After all of the excess has spilled, you
can measure how much water remains to determine the amount of oil to use.

A turkey must fry three minutes per pound, so
this meant that our 12-pounder needed to cook for
36 minutes, but before that could even start, we
had to lower the bird into the incredibly hot
oil. Brice, another student, held the basket,
which is metal with holes, that comes with the
fryer. Food is placed into the basket, and a
device that looks like an upside-down hanger is
utilized to lower the basket. I lifted the raw
turkey and placed it into the basket. I do not
mind working with raw meat, but I was a little
grossed out since I had to stick my hand into the
inside of the carcass to lift it, but it was
definitely worth it. Brice then connected the
hanger device to the basket handle. This would be
comparable to hooking the part of a hanger that
hangs on the closet clothes bar to something. He
found the side of the fryer with the basket,
lifted, and lowered slowly to avoid scorching
splatters. He removed the hanger device from the
basket handle, and we put the lid on and waited.

Removing the finished turkey is tedious, because
you first have to use the hanger device to find
the handle, hook it onto the handle, and lift.
Then, you must move the side of the basket, which
has a lip, slowly up the side of the fryer and
hook it onto the top edge of the fryer. This
allows oil to drip. After the dripping has
stopped, the turkey can be lifted completely out
of the fryer and placed to cool.

Although the turkey was the main course, there
were many other tasks necessary for a successful
meal that we engaged in the entire week prior. I
learned how fussy homemade pie crusts can be, and
worked on patience while cutting them. I placed a
toothpick in the center of each pie to center
myself and placed toothpicks along the side to
indicate the slices I had already cut. From the
appetizers to the dessert, we all worked hard to
serve the staff, and finally, ourselves, and the meal was incredible.

I am appreciative of BLIND, Inc. for creating
opportunities out of holidays to learn the
important nonvisual techniques essential to
hosting large dinners with food that is typically
only cooked at those occasions. I look forward to
hosting several holidays for my family, and even
though I did not perfect any of these skills, I
built a foundation of skills and confidence to start from in the future.

This and That

Low Vision Group Meets at LVL

by Pat Munson

Editor’s note: The following was printed in the
newsletter at the facility for seniors where Art and I live.
Note: Most blind folks I know use the word blind
to describe any person using what we call “blind
techniques” to accomplish the daily activities of
life. So blind means someone with low to no
vision. But, some use low vision. It’s a free country!

Some time back, Mary Spittle saw a need for those
losing vision to meet at LVL. Now we usually
gather once a month in the Cardroom to learn how to deal with vision loss.

Art Schreiber and I are members of the National
Federation of the Blind (NFB) and are members of
the NFB Senior Division. Annually the division
meets at the national convention of NFB and we
deal with issues pertaining to vision loss.

Besides demonstrating items that speak, such as
clocks, color identifiers and recorders, we
discuss how a person losing vision handles the
business of daily life and dealing with family and well-meaning friends.

Recently, at LVL we showed a device called the
Pen Friend which is a recorder; this device has
labels which can be recorded upon. The labels can
then be placed on an item; then the Pen Friend is
pointed to the label and reads what has been recorded.

For more information call Art or me. We invite
anyone interested in this subject to join our
meetings. Art and I enjoy normal lives. We just
do some things a little differently. I was a
public school teacher for 35 years, and Art
worked in broadcasting after his blindness for 30
years so as you can see we are changing what it means to be blind!
Come join us and a big thanks to Mary for starting the group!

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
-- Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
--Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943
"I have traveled the length and breadth of this
country and talked with the best people, and I
can assure you that data processing is a fad that won't last out the year."
--The editor in charge of business books for Prentice Hall, 1957

"But what is it good for?"
-- Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems
Division of IBM,1968, commenting on the microchip.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
-- Bill Gates, 1981

This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be
seriously considered as a means of communication.
The device is inherently of no value to us,"
-- Western Union internal memo, 1876.

"The wireless music box has no imaginable
commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
-- David Sarnoff's associates in response to his
urgings for investment in the radio in the 1920s.

"The super computer is technologically
impossible. It would take all of the water that
flows over Niagara Falls to cool the heat
generated by the number of vacuum tubes required."
-- Professor of Electrical Engineering, New York University

"I don't know what use any one could find for a
machine that would make copies of documents. It
certainly couldn't be a feasible business by itself."
-- the head of IBM, refusing to back the idea,
forcing the inventor to found Xerox.

And last but not least...

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
-- Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977

Laughing Matters What's a WC.

An English lady who visited Switzerland was so
delighted when visiting one small village that
she decided to stay there a year. So, the village
schoolmaster, the only English-speaker there,
selected a house for her that was just right. But
she had to return to England for packing. While
in England, she realized that she hadn't seen a
"W.C." (water closet or toilet) near the house.
So, she wrote a letter to the postmaster who had
no idea what "W.C." meant. After consulting the
village priest, they both decided that in England
the letters must mean "Wesleyan Chapel." The
schoolmaster then wrote the lady this letter:

"Dear Madam, I am glad to inform you that the
W.C. is only nine miles from the house and
located in a lovely grove of trees. The W.C. can
hold 229 people and is open on Sundays and
Thursdays. That distance may be a problem if you
are in the habit of going regularly. I would
advise your ladyship to go on Thursdays when
there is an organ concert. The acoustics are
excellent, and even the most delicate sounds can
be heard everywhere. Actually, though the W.C. is
small, even my daughter was married there. Added
recently is the bell donated by a wealthy
resident. The bell rings whenever someone enters
the doors. In the future, plush seats will be
installed, because for some time now the people
have realized a long-felt need. Although I go
regularly, my wife with her delicate health goes
only irregularly. In fact, she has not gone for
the past year, which pains her greatly. I shall
be delighted to reserve the best seat for you at
the W.C. where you can be seen by all."

Sincerely yours, Herr Scheiskepf

  end of file