[Nfb-seniors] agenda, Nfb of Nebraska Senior Division workshop, agenda

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Mon Oct 8 03:20:14 UTC 2012

Hi you all!

I'm Robert Leslie Newman, Vice President of NFB of Nebraska Senior Division.
Our 2012 NFB State Convention starts this Friday, in Kearney. On the first
day, which normally spend mornings and afternoons holding various workshops.
The Senior Division will again conducting a workshop;  each year's topic is
different. I'd like to share a copy of a notice for the upcoming workshop,
and our agenda. I think we all can learn from one another. What are some of
the rest of you doing? I'd also like to know the number and ID of how many
states have a local/state Senior Division.

**Announcement:
2012 NFB OF NEBRASKA SENIOR DIVISION ANNUAL WORKSHOP
Blindness Without Barriers
October 12th 2012 (10:00 AM - 4:00 PM)

Blindness in and of itself is not a barrier to living life, not when
engaging in leisure, learning, living, and leadership.

Based on the core belief of the NFB (National Federation of the Blind) ---
"The real problem of blindness is not the loss of eyesight. The real problem
is the misunderstanding and lack of information that exist. If a blind
person has proper training and opportunity, blindness can be reduced to a
physical nuisance." --- Come to our workshop where we will start you on a
new mind-set to tear and hold down the barriers you may have in your mind
and ability to live with blindness. We will speak about, demonstrate and
teach skills that are needed to participate in: Leisure activities-
described movies, gardening, crafts, etc. Learning activities- 	 digital
books, using computers/phones, reading and writing Braille, etc. Living
activities- adaptive medical equipment, grooming, home management, etc.
Leadership activities- work, community involvement, family responsibilities,
etc.

Costs: Workshop pre-convention registration $10.00, includes lunch- Open
Faced Hot Beef sandwich (Day of convention $15.00)

Our workshop is the first day of the three day annual state convention of
the NFB of Nebraska. Plan to attend the entire convention to maximize your
experience!

**Agenda:

2012 Senior Division Workshop Agenda
Blindness Without Barriers
October 12th, 2012
(10:00 AM - 4:00 PM)

-9:30-10:00: Registration

-10:00-12:00: Introductions: "Who are we and you-" we discuss blindness and
leisure, learning, living and leadership

-12:00-1:00: Lunch, "Why do we belong to the Senior Division"

-1:00-3:00: Leisure, Learning, Living, Leadership- "Show & Tell," members
share methods and demonstrate equipment

-3:00-4:00: Leisure, Learning, Living, Leadership- "Hands-On," members offer
to teach skills one-on-one

Robert Leslie Newman
Personal Website-
Adjustment To Blindness And Visual impairment
http//www.thoughtprovoker.info
NFB Writers' Division, president
http://www.nfb-writers-division.net
Chair of the NFB Communications Committee
Vice President, Nebraska Senior Division