[Nfb-seniors] Great Call

Judy Jones jtj1 at cableone.net
Thu Feb 26 02:33:31 UTC 2015

Hello again.

My husband, Chris, is president of our local chapter, and I am secretary.,
mainly made up of seniors.  The gentleman that started the affiliate was
president for a couple years before we joined, and ran it like a senior
support group, with really no training of any kind in NFB philosophy or any
attempt at educating in philosophy and encouragement of trying new things.

The people who joined have been friends of his for a long time, are also
losing their sight.  All have macular degeneration.

Once we joined we  are attempting to gently introduce concepts, and are
trying to help build a foundation.  I believe this may take patient and
consistent repetition.

They do not relate to us, as both my husband and I have Retinopathy Of
Prematurity.  They believe we don't miss or can never understand what we
have never had.  Sight.

We presented all the information on this month's call at our February 9
meeting.  Both my husband and I had occasion to check with various ones,
reminding them of the call.  No reaction.  When I asked one lady's
assistance about helping spread the word about the call, she couldn't
understand why seniors would even be interested in anything like cane travel
or braille.  Why should seniors be on a call like this?  I explained again
that the call is sponsored by the national senior division, and that the
calls are tailored for seniors and their needs.  We will continue to give
reminders of the upcoming calls.

My big question is how to excite our seniors to join the call, and more than
that, help them to realize there is learning and tools to be had.  I have
made sure they are all receiving the Braille Monitor in the format they
requested.  None are reading, nor is there any interest.  Any audio they do
not like as it is not visual, but anything visual we can try to bring in
they do not like as they cannot see it.

They really are a nice group of people, and will participate in our annual
state Senior Division picnic.  However, there is no interest in state or
national convention, no interest in what is going on in the state or
nationally

There are many who are sure they can't learn anything else, some who are
very nice about it but flat don't want to know anything else, although they
are great people to relate to in other areas..  They are not excited about
any possibilities available to them.  They are interested in how much they
can still see, the latest medical breakthrough or home remedy.

We did have a great Christmas party everyone thoroughly enjoyed, but there
is no interest in anything blindness-related or the the possibility of
different thought processes.

One idea Chris and I have had we want to implement is conducting phone
interviews during the meeting of persons who have lost their sight later in
life and overcome barriers to live an active life.  We are looking for
volunteers to do this, in hopes that someone's story will help someone in
our group turn that mental corner from just coping, to embracing what is
available for them.

I apologize for rambling on and hope II have not come across as a whiner.
(smiles), but joined this list for support, ideas, and in hopes of helping
someone else.   We truly do want to reach these precious people.

BTW, my husband, Chris, also just joined the list, so you may also see his
posts.  Thanks in advance to all who will be reading this post.

Judy