[Nfb-seniors] Great Call

Judy Mayo jhunterm53 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 19:05:28 UTC 2015

Hi Judy Jones,
My name is Judy also from Pennsylvania. I want to wish you good luck
on getting seniors to want to learn anything about being visually
impaired or blind or learning how to use things made for the vlind and
visually impaired. I used to go to the Center for Vision Loss in
Allentown, PA. I am a senior and for 2 years tried so hard to get
other seniors to want to learn about Braille, using the white cane,
using a computer and even how to use a can opener. I even told one
senior lady that I would get to her apartment to teach her how to use
a can opener. She does not talk to me anymore. Most of the seniors in
the group I was in want to do is complain about how they do not know
how to do something, but do not want to learn how to do it. MOst of
the middle age people who used to go stopped going because of the
complaining seniors. It is a shame. I stopped going also.  Another
lady who is totally blind wants to learn how to cook and I offered to
go to her home to teach her basic things. Because the Center staff has
her convinced that because I am not qualified to teach her, she will
not call me to set up at time for me to go to her home. I tried so
hard to talk to the people at this center to get them to want to
learn, but kept getting the "rug pulled out from under me" so to
speak. I gave up. I haven't given up on myself though. I am 62 years
old and still learning.
I could go on and on, but there is no need to. Good luck goes to you though.
Judy H Mayo