[Nfb-seniors] iDentifi - VERY GOOD APP To IDENTIFY THINGS AROUND YOU

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Tue Feb 14 18:57:40 UTC 2017

This is the write-up from the AppleVis.com website:

viDentifi- Object Recognition for Visually Impaired

Submitted by Blinken223 on 30 November, 2016 - 13:05 and last modified on 30
November, 2016 - 13:15

Category:

*         <http://applevis.com/ios-app-directory/utilities> Utilities

Description of App:

*** From the App Store ***

iDentifi is an app that empowers visually impaired individuals to gain more
independence in daily tasks like grocery shopping, self-navigating in indoor
environments, and reading. It uses artificial intelligence to enable a
visually impaired user to click a photo of virtually any object or piece of
text, and then speaks aloud a description of the object in an image or
dictate any text in the image to the user. Furthermore, all of the app's
functionality works in more than 25 languages. Finally, the app features an
interface designed with visually impaired users in mind, while also giving
users the option to choose from three different modes of object/text
recognition as well as how fast they want the app to speak.

Awards & Press Coverage:
-Appeared on CTV News Toronto
-Silver Medal at the Canada Wide Science Festival
-Given awards by the following academic institutions:
-University of Ottawa
-University of British Columbia
-Western University
-York University
-Dalhousie University

Apple Watch Support:

No

Version:

1.2.1

Free or Paid:

Free

Device(s) App Was Tested On:

iPhone

iOS Version:

10.1.1

Accessibility Comments:

The app is fully accessible and works great. You can even change the mode to
either have a generic description, detailed description or to read the text
off an image. You can either take a picture from within the app or choose
one from your camera roll.

VoiceOver Performance:

VoiceOver reads all page elements.

Button Labeling:

All buttons are clearly labeled.

Usability:

The app is fully accessible with VoiceOver and is easy to navigate and use.

App Store Link:

<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/identifi-object-recognition/id1135223189?mt
=8> https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/identifi...

Developer's Website:

 <http://www.getidentifi.com/support> http://www.getidentifi.com/support

User Options

4 AppleVis user(s) have recommended this app for VoiceOver users.

*
<http://twitter.com/share?url=http%3A//tinyurl.com/h2jzzbz&text=iOS%20App%20
Directory%3A%20iDentifi-%20Object%20Recognition%20for%20Visually%20Impaired%
2C%20via%20%40AppleVis> Share on Twitter

*
<http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A//tinyurl.com/h2jzzbz&t=iOS%20A
pp%20Directory%3A%20iDentifi-%20Object%20Recognition%20for%20Visually%20Impa
ired%2C%20via%20%40AppleVis> Share on Facebook

*
<http://applevis.com/user/login?destination=node/19192%23comment-form> Log
in or
<http://applevis.com/user/register?destination=node/19192%23comment-form>
register to post comments

23 Comments

 <http://applevis.com/comment/65778#comment-65778> Looks like TapTapSee has
some competition

Submitted by Callum on 1 December, 2016 - 06:47

I've only had a brief play with this but it looks great

*
<http://applevis.com/user/login?destination=node/19192%23comment-form> Log
in or
<http://applevis.com/user/register?destination=node/19192%23comment-form>
register to post comments

 <http://applevis.com/comment/65787#comment-65787> A Few Additions

Submitted by Blinken223 on 1 December, 2016 - 10:08

I've been using it myself and am loving it more and more. I know that with
TapTapSee, you were given a limited number of pictures you could before you
had to pay for more, don't know if that is still the case, but at least with
iDentifi, you have no limit.

I would suggest that perhaps a repeat button could be added and perhaps add
a button to toggle the different modes from the main screen, but all in all,
a great app from a student.

*
<http://applevis.com/user/login?destination=node/19192%23comment-form> Log
in or
<http://applevis.com/user/register?destination=node/19192%23comment-form>
register to post comments

 <http://applevis.com/comment/65790#comment-65790> congratulations.

Submitted by mario_hardrock on 1 December, 2016 - 12:46

Hi

Is a great app.
it Works very well.
Thanks
Cheers.

*
<http://applevis.com/user/login?destination=node/19192%23comment-form> Log
in or
<http://applevis.com/user/register?destination=node/19192%23comment-form>
register to post comments

 <http://applevis.com/comment/65792#comment-65792> Identifi

Submitted by DJ on 1 December, 2016 - 13:29

Congrats to the young fella for developing a superb app.

*
<http://applevis.com/user/login?destination=node/19192%23comment-form> Log
in or
<http://applevis.com/user/register?destination=node/19192%23comment-form>
register to post comments

 <http://applevis.com/comment/65794#comment-65794> observation of app

Submitted by HarmonicaPlayer on 1 December, 2016 - 13:39

i love the app, however , i do have one suggestion for next update. is there
a way that a repeat button could be implemented so if you by chanced missed
first announcement you could repeat it if you wish?

*
<http://applevis.com/user/login?destination=node/19192%23comment-form> Log
in or
<http://applevis.com/user/register?destination=node/19192%23comment-form>
register to post comments

 <http://applevis.com/comment/65797#comment-65797> Great app

Submitted by Greg Wocher on 1 December, 2016 - 14:15

Hello,
This is a really good app. I took a picture of my son holding his XBox 360
controller and iDentifi said:
male hand holding gold XBox 360 wireless controller.

It really impressed my son and I. I have not tried it on any text yet. That
will be my next thing to try with it. It would be nice to have a way to
toggle between text and object reccognition on the home screen of the ap.

Regards,
Greg Wocher

*
<http://applevis.com/user/login?destination=node/19192%23comment-form> Log
in or
<http://applevis.com/user/register?destination=node/19192%23comment-form>
register to post comments

 <http://applevis.com/comment/66002#comment-66002> iDentifi I Love it

Submitted by Mark Omelan on 7 December, 2016 - 01:25

This is Anna amazing app! I totally love it and use it every day. The app is
super easy to use, I use it to take photos of the cans in my cupboard and
find out what I am opening. Makes my life so much easier, it's amazing! It
works really well on reading letters and quick correspondence as well. I
believe this is a must download app for every visually impaired user.

*
<http://applevis.com/user/login?destination=node/19192%23comment-form> Log
in or
<http://applevis.com/user/register?destination=node/19192%23comment-form>
register to post comments

 <http://applevis.com/comment/66007#comment-66007> I have a suggestion also

Submitted by DMNagel on 7 December, 2016 - 07:10

I think it would be great if we could navigate through the characters, words
and lines of our answers. This would be helpful when dealing with big
numbers and especially when trying out captchas.

*
<http://applevis.com/user/login?destination=node/19192%23comment-form> Log
in or
<http://applevis.com/user/register?destination=node/19192%23comment-form>
register to post comments

 <http://applevis.com/comment/66012#comment-66012> Request for full
accessibility for all blind people.

Submitted by Darrell Shandro... on 7 December, 2016 - 08:34

 <http://www.applevis.com/applevis-blog-team>

Unfortunately, in its current self-voicing implementation, Identifi is not
fully accessible to everyone, including deaf-blind users and those with
hearing impairments.

I have used the support link on the developer's website to request
resolution of this concern and I am anticipating a response within 48 hours.

Hello,

Thank you for creating an app that improves the lives of blind people around
the world.

As a blind person, I have tested Identifi in several object identification
and image text recognition scenarios where the app produces excellent
results.

I would like to ask you to make Identifi fully accessible to all blind
people, including those who are deaf or whom experience hearing impairments.

Specifically, I am asking that the results of object identification or image
text recognition be displayed on screen in a fully VoiceOver-accessible
manner so that it is readable to those who rely on Braille displays and
those whom have limited residual sight.

In addition, I am requesting that you update the getidentifi.com website so
that it is fully compliant with web accessibility standards such as
Accessible Rich Internet Applications (WAI-ARIA) and the Web Content
Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG). In my preliminary accessibility tests, I
found jumpy screen-reader navigation and missing descriptive alt text tags
for several images.

If I may be of further assistance, please feel free to contact me. Please
also consider visiting  <http://applevis.com/> http://applevis.com and
joining our community so that you may engage proactively with thousands of
real-world blind iOS users.

I thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Darrell Hilliker
Accessibility Evangelist
BlindAccessJournal.com