[NFB-Seniors] Check out this community outreach activity report from Alabama! Do you have one to share?

Robert Leslie Newman robertleslienewman at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 14:19:23 UTC 2019

Hi You All

This comes from the president of the Alabama seniors Division, Carol
Braithwaite.

Take a read, send Carol your thank you, and admiration! And truly, do send
into this list  your recent community activity  experience. Giving the rest
of us ideas of what we can do in our own communities, to change what it
means to be blind.

**Carol writes:

Last night I interacted with a local Cub Scouts troop in Pinson, AL. The
kids ranged from 8-12 years old because some Boy Scouts joined us partway
through. Only one person said they have a family member or friend who is
blind or has low vision-a great-grandmother. I described what it is like to
grow up with progressive vision loss and what a difference NFB training has
made to me. I showed them cane travel around a large room while wearing a
blindfold. They then each donned blindfolds and tried using canes. We talked
about a cane being a tool for ID and mobility. I showed them proper
technique for guiding a blind person. I showed them my handheld video
magnifier, VoiceOver technology on the iPhone and iPad, books on Victor
Stream, and use of the Perkins Brailler and slate and stylus. Since I used
to travel with Guide Dogs for 15 years, I showed them a harness and leash,
and one child offered to act as the dog, wearing the harness and leash while
I was led around  the room. The kids loved that! Each child received an NFB
Braille card and a Kernel Book. Loads of fun for this senior as well as for
the kids and their troop leaders.

Carol Braithwaite

Respectfully yours,

Robert Leslie Newman

NFBN Senior Division, President

Second Vice President, NFB Seniors Division