[Nfbc-info] Sacramento members question

nlibre nlibre at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 15:01:35 UTC 2009

Mike,

I have been working part-time in Sacramento since February and I think I
understand where you are coming from.  In Oxnard, on the bus it takes me
about 90 minutes to get 5 miles, sometimes I just walk the last 2 miles
because it is faster than waiting for the transfer.  The buses don't run
early enough or late enough to accommodate everything packed into my daily
schedule.  When I got to Sacramento, I was thrilled that there was a bus
line 6 blocks from where I was staying that ran once an hour, would take me
directly to work, and I would only get there 20 minutes early.  I had been
to Sacramento several times and knew that there were many transportation
options, but it took hanging out with a bunch of cool blind people up there
to help me understand the layout and the real options.  Now I know that
there are multiple buses and a light rail that can get me to work in about
25 minutes, door to door, even if I decide to walk 4 blocks.  Unless I
choose to take a relaxing walk before or after work, I don't need to waste
much time waiting on buses anymore.  The transportation in the downtown
area, and on the light rail lines is fun, and I must say, I'm smitten by it
now.  If I were to move to Sacramento, I would want to be near the light
rail and bus lines that could get me to work, downtown, and beyond, within
20-45 minutes.  And from what I've researched about rental options, there
are affordable places in downtown, depending on the other amenities you are
looking to enjoy.  I would suggest that you don't limit your possibilities
for interactions with downtown life, your colleagues, or other
Federationists by living too far removed from public transportation that is
available during the weekdays and weekends, beyond the commuter hours.
There is excellent work to be done in the Sacramento area and wonderful
people to do it with, no matter what 9-5 means for you at this time.

Best wishes,
Nicolás