[Nfbc-info] Fw: At Large Minutes for Decemberr 2011

Mary Willows mwillows at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 11 05:06:07 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: Shannon L. Dillon
To: Mary Willows ; Robert Stigile ; Ever Lee Hairston ; Melissa Haney ; Jana Littrell ; Peg Halverson ; Louis Lucero ; Louis Lucero ; Ron Govin ; Ken Sawicki ; Miguel Mendez ; Karmalynne Rios ; jessmonsilva2003 at sbcglobal.net ; jessmonsilva at gmail.com ; Elizabeth Stewart ; Alexa Hanson ; Matthew VanFossan ; Tiffany Manosh ; Ron Burzese ; Hector Elias ; Mary Church ; Barbara Grant ; Chetan Bakhru ; Peg Halverson ; Tiffany Manosh ; Kisshonda Jones ; Kammie Dibble ; shannonldillon at hotmail.com
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 2:00 PM
Subject: RE: At Large Minutes for Decemberr 2011

Below please find minutes for December 2011.  Both November 2011 and december 2011 are attached to this message. Thank you.

National Federation of the Blind

of California

December 8, 2011

At Large Chapter Meeting

1. Roll

Present: Ever Lee Hairston, Robert Stigile, Mary Wilows, Shannon Dillon, Sheryl Thurston, Khay Uon, and Barbara Grant.

2. Treasurer's Report

There is no treasurer's report.

3. Braille Enrichment and Learning Literacy

The Braille Enrichment and Learning Literacy (BELL) program is a two-week intensive program for learning Braille for children. California has not held a BELL Program yet but we are looking for a location to do it. For example, on a colege campus. They can be held in community centers. In North Carolina they are held in the summer and use the colleges and the dorms. Ohio had one, too.

4. HR 3086 is the Fair Wages for Workers with Disabilities Act. There are still 168 agencies in California that are paying subminimum wages to disabled people. We are proposing that section 14(c) be dropped. We are looking for sponsors.

We need to talk to Cara rovbertson and David Dryer to ask them to support our legislation. They are federal representatives. We would like to contact them because they have not been contacted. But members should continue to try to reach other representatives.

5. There are leadership seminars coming up. Look around and see if you know any people who we would like to recommend for leadership. Parents' Leadership is in February. There is Leadership for teachers working in the field of blindness; Affiliate leadership; and the LAW (Legal Advocacy in Washington) for kids 12-16 years old. The information is available on the nfb.org web site. Fast Facts is the link to go to for  more information.

6. Advisory commission on instructional materials. This was an 18-month commission that put out the report. Dr. Louis lucero represented us in that commission. In the nutshell the recommendations are these three: first, that someone should come up with guidelines for instructional materials for colleges and universities considering new materials for students; second, make sure there is funding in place to purchase whatever equipment or translation materials are necessary; and third is to train faculty or personnel or staff in how to use equipment so they can help students.

This commission was concerned with all print disabled students, not just blind students.

7. As a result of the NFB working with the bar examiners, a blind woman has passed the bar using accessible technology.

8. The December presidential release is out. Mary explains the presidential release. Dr. Maurer announces the Air Transportation and Advisory Committee has put out its guidelines for the keosks and Web sites. Those places are now supposed to be accessible. We have till the end of December to give our feedback to the advisory comission. The Web site to give our input to is not accessible to the blind. As a result the NFB set up a portal for us to go to to give our input. The e-mail to send comments to is airlines at nfb.org. Or go to nfb.org Web site and look for Presidential Release for the instructions for where to go to report problems with the airline Web sites.

9. Library Committee

Joy Stigile updates us on library services. There are threats to their funding. Three talkingbook libraries as well as public libraries in the state are going to be affected by budget cuts that will become affective january 1. If funding is cut we will not receive any federal funding. The talkingbook library in L.A. Would stay open. But Sacramento only receives public money so they would be in big financial crisis.

Write a letter to governor asking him not to cut funding to the library. Write it to state senators or state representativeds. Do not write letter as part of NFB.  Write it as a library patron. Write to governor and CC local assembly persons and senators. Send letter to Honorable Edmond G. Brown Governor, State of California,

State Capitol Room 1173,

Sacramento, CA 95814.

In that letter, reference AB121. Tell the governor to help us to keep funding for library services because it would have devastating impact on non-print readers that use library services and literacy programs. Library patrons of all ages and ranges throughout the state.

Mary will put a message out to the list.

10. Announcements

Saturday evening from 6:00 to 8:00 is holiday party at Coco's Restaurant in Woodland Hills. 21844 Victory Blvd., Woodland Hills. Order off the menu. There will be a 50/50 drawing.

Gerry Croom is in hospital in Centinela. 20th anniversary luncheon has been canceled.

Next meeting will be January 12, 7:00 p.m.

It is moved by Shannon and second by Robert to adjourn. All are in favor. The motion passes.

SHANNON L. DILLON