[Nfbmd] hiring a driver

Maurice Peret mperet at BISM.org
Mon May 20 11:45:09 UTC 2013

This is an excellent question. I would concur that reimbursement for gas and expenses is important as well as the $100 membership to the gym which is extremely valuable, especially if said driver plans to take full advantage of the privilege at the same time Jason will. Otherwise, I've worked out either a weekly plan of reimbursement, say, $25, or no less than $10 hourly for occasional errands. The deal can usually be negotiated based upon the individual needs and purpose of the driving candidate. Also, teens often tend to have rather hectic schedules and spontaneous distractions from these sorts of commitments. I wouldn't characterize these young adults as unreliable but merely full of opportunities and choices on how they spend their time.

Maurice

From: Nfbmd [mailto:nfbmd-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Chris Nusbaum
Sent: Sunday, May 19, 2013 8:13 PM
To: 'SUSAN POLANSKY'; 'NFB of Maryland e-mail list'
Subject: Re: [Nfbmd] hiring a driver

Miss Susan,

Most blind people I have talked with usually pay for their driver's gas and/or reimburse them for some other expense they might incur while driving their blind employer. I have also heard of blind people taking their drivers/readers out to lunch or dinner. Someone with more personal experience with this may be able to provide you with more information, but these are the suggestions I have heard. I would imagine that there are myriad ways to reimburse drivers-paying for their gym membership, buying them lunch or dinner, paying for gas, etc. It all depends on the purposes for which you are hiring the driver.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Chris Nusbaum, Co-Chair
Public Relations Committee