[NFBNJ] Notes from President Ruffalo, March 2017

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Tue Mar 14 14:00:00 UTC 2017

Greetings to all!

I am writing this message during the March blizzard of 2017.  As the snow comes down, let’s think of spring and the activities planned to raise the expectations to live the life we want as we transform dreams into reality. The affiliate will be establishing two committees; The Spanish and the Sports and Recreation committees. Information will be distributed shortly. In addition, in early April we will distribute an updated list of contacts for the NFBNJ, a list of local chapters, division information and highlights pertaining to committees, programs and projects to review and share with others. We have much to offer as our members continue to get and stay involved to raise the expectations to live the life we want.

Nfbnj1 at verizon.net

www.nfbnj.org

****

Items of Interest:

1.    Blindparents.org

2.    Creation of the NFBNJ YouTube channel

3. Increasing membership

4. State convention update and surfing opportunity

5. Introduction of the TIME Act

6. Information on Social Security forms

1.    The NFB has launched blindparents.org as a new resource for blind parents, blind people thinking of becoming parents, blind grandparents, professionals, and other family members. Right now the site has wonderful information, but we need it to grow. Here are the things we are looking for in order to truly make blindparents.org our own.

·         We need your stories: We need written accounts of experiences you have had parenting.

·         We need stories from kids and/or adults who have blind parents. These do not need to be long—just from the heart.

·         We need videos: There are many different techniques blind parents use every day to care for children. We need videos explaining and showing these techniques. Again, these do not have to be too long, and it would be best to focus on one specific task in each video—although it would be fine to talk about the different ways you might complete the task if that is appropriate.

·         We especially need these videos in Spanish, and we would welcome other languages as well.

·         We need product reviews: There are so many products out there that make our lives as parents just a little easier. Some are completely mainstream products such as baby carriers. Others are more blindness specific like talking thermometers. What are your favorite products, or what things do or did you find particularly useful? Please consider writing product reviews so others who are looking for information have a place to go to find opinions of other blind parents like them.

·         We need mentees—and mentors: We recently began our blind parent mentor program. We have had a nice response of mentors, but very few mentees. Don’t be shy! Feel free to sign up as a mentor or mentee today!

·         We need your feedback: What is this website missing? What else do we need to make it great? Please, take a look and let us know what you think!

The email address for the Blind Parent Initiative is parenting at nfb.org Melissa Riccobono is helping with this project. She can be reached by phone at 410-659-9314 Ext. 2466.

****

2.    As many of you are aware, we created a YouTube channel prior to state convention. The channel is called NFBNJTransformDreams and it currently has 27 subscribers.

To view the channel, please visit https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKEDbjGsCYHMlwd4gqpBPjg and hopefully you will become a subscriber to the channel.

As you may have noted, the ending of the URL doesn’t really tell you what the channel really is. In order to customize the URL for our YouTube channel, we need at least 100 subscribers.

After you visit the channel, please view some of the videos, subscribe to the channel, and tell your friends to subscribe to the channel as well.

In order to subscribe, navigate to the subscribe button and press ENTER (or click) on it, then log in using your Gmail user information (YouTube is owned by Google), after that point you become a subscriber to the channel.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

Brian A. Mackey

609 953 6988

Bmackey88 at gmail.com

****

3.    Increasing Membership Campaign

Fellow Federationists:

During the month of March, we will be running a social media campaign to increase membership. Our goal is to encourage new members to join by sharing the stories of how the NFB changes lives. As affiliate and chapter presidents, we need your leadership to make this campaign a success. First, we ask that you share your story, and encourage your members to share theirs, on social media (Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram) using #WhyImAFederationist. Tell us what the NFB means to you or how the NFB has helped you. Second, we are asking that each chapter set a goal for themselves of bringing on at least one new member by March 31.

Finally, we want to welcome new members into the Federation family. To this end, we ask that you fill out the new member form, www.nfb.org/new-member-form. If applicable, please also include the new member’s Twitter handle. If you have any questions, please contact me at seller at nfb.org or (410) 659-9314, extension 2423.

Best,

Stephanie Eller

Coordinator of Strategic Partnerships

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

(410) 659-9314, 2423 | seller at nfb.org

****

4. State convention update and surfing opportunity

Greetings to all!

There is nothing like planning ahead.

The affiliate is planning the 41st state convention scheduled from Thursday, November 9 through Sunday, November 12, 2017, at the Holiday Inn, 151 Route 72 East in Manahawkin.

For any early birds, you can make your hotel reservations by calling the hotel in Manahawkin at 609 481 6100 and use code, NFB.

The second surfing experience, surfing for vision to be held in Long Branch on Saturday, August 12,2017 and plans are underway to enjoy an experience of a lifetime.

Michael Benson has provided information for all to consider.

Yes, we are less than five months from raising expectations with riding the surf to live the life we want as we know that there is life after blindness! We have lost our eyesight however, we haven't lost our vision!

The fifty spots will go fast and therefore, please consider joining me and others as we surf out of our comfort zones!

Note, as of this writing, we have nearly 30 registered. Don’t delay, get to it!

See below.

The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can have the life you want; blindness does not hold us back.

**

Michael Benson has  50 surfing spots this year and he wants to offer them first to the members of the NFBNJ. Remember, nearly 30 have registered!

The website is ready to take registrations. The date will be  Saturday August 12th in long Branch. The times will be determined due to tides and the exact beach is being planned but the date is set and registration is open.

Michael will begin to start contacting those    who surfed last year soon.

Please visit the following website, http://www.visualexperiencefoundation.org/surfer-registration

Sincerely,

Michael Benson

Founder

VISUAL EXPERIENCE FOUNDATION

PO Box 346

Spring Lake, NJ 07762

Tele:732-616-3304

Email : michael at lovevision.org

Web: www.visualexperiencefoundation.org

Facebook/visualexperiencefoundation

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/visual-experience-foundation-takes-man-losing-vision-grand-29815832

****

5.    TIME Act Introduced:

Congressman Harper has introduced the Transitioning to Integrated and Meaningful Employment (TIME) Act to remove barriers to employment opportunities for people with disabilities by phasing out Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and facilitating the transitioning of people with disabilities now working in segregated employment settings into competitive employment opportunities in their communities.

****

6.    Social Security Forms:

The NFB is seeking members who currently receive social security benefits and would like social security forms to be accessible and available online, so that blind individuals can privately and independently complete these forms. We are particularly interested in hearing from members who are iOS users. Please contact Valerie Yingling at vyingling at nfb.org to discuss how you can help NFB push the Social Security Administration toward accessibility.

Thank you for your continued support.

nfbnj1 at verizon.net

Donate your unwanted vehicle to us by clicking www.carshelpingtheblind.org or call 855 659 9314