[NFBNJ] From the DHS eClips

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Thu Jun 7 19:29:04 UTC 2018

    Greetings to all!

Received from Pamela Gaston, NJ CBVI
Three articles for your review.

The following two articles demonstrate  that raising expectations to
transform dreams into reality are goals for all to consider.

Congratulations to those that provided energy, time and resources to provide
the opportunities for others to a achieve the objective of living the life
they want.

The third article highlights  program in Somerset County.  For those that
live in other counties, research your Division on Aging in your local
county.

nfbnj1 at verizon.net

*********

Blind Divas shine a light for us to follow

Star Ledger, June 5, 2018-By: Barry Carter

Tara Invidiato couldn't see the audience. She couldn't hear them, either.

Seven Blind Divas graced the stage in Newark during the 2nd Annual Ms. Blind
Diva Empowerment Pageant 2K18. It's sponsored by Eyes Like Mine Inc., a
Newark nonprofit organization that breaks down stereotypes and stigmas
associated with the blind. They will be escorted by police officers to start
the pageant, which includes portions for the ladies to display their talent,
intellect, evening wear and modeling.

But Invidiato, who is deaf and blind, could feel their presence Saturday
during the second annual Miss Blind Diva Empowerment
Pageant.<http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2018/02/blind_divas_gear_up_for_empowermentpageant_carter.html>

The crowd, seated at dozens of tables, clapped their hands and stomped their
feet at the Club House, a community center in Newarks Central Ward.

"I could feel their vibrations," she said. "That's the beauty of being
blind."

They could feel her, too, as she used sign language to fully express the
emotions in "DeafBlind Strong," a poem she wrote to educate those of us with
sight.

"We are not disabled," said Invidiato, who was born deaf and lost her sight
three years ago from aggressive glaucoma. "We are different-abled."

The judges agreed.

Invidiato, 33, of Keyport won the Miss Blind Diva crown, an honor she said
also belongs to the six other visually impaired ladies, who competed to let
others know that vision loss does not hold them back.

"If I had the opportunity to take this crown and copy it, they would all
deserve it," Invidiato said. "They are true symbols of empowerment and
independence."

We can't forget rock stars, too.

With Newark police officers and firefighters as their escorts, ladies and
gentlemen allow me to introduce Jameisha Murrell, 23, of Plainfield; Joanna
Mallard, 32, of Jersey City; Tamilah Alexander, 30, of Irvington, Laura
Etori, 23, of Newark, Claress Knight, 22, of Maplewood and Tekesha Saffold,
35, of Palm Beach, Florida.

Since February, the ladies have been attending pageant workshops in
modeling, makeup and how to present themselves when they strut down the
runway.

Sporting fashion from Ashley Stewart, a clothing store in Newark and
Designer Christopher Bonds of Drama House fashion, the ladies walked the
runway in garments from casual to evening wear and "nine to fine."

They presented videos on You Tube showing their daily independence in
activities such as athletics, cooking, creating art, navigating a college
campus and social outings like bowling.

The idea to enlighten others about their world came from Krystle Allen,
president of Eyes Like Mine
Inc.<http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2016/04/these_dancers_have_all_the_right_moves.html>,
a nonprofit organization in Newark that challenges stereotypes and stigmas
about the blind.

Allen, who is legally blind, coined the catchy Ms. Blind Diva label when she
didn't like students at Essex County College referring to her as the blind
girl.

"If they're going to call me blind girl, they're going to call me Blind
Diva."

Based on that thought, Allen and Naquela Wright, vice president of the
organization, who is also blind, started the pageant to empower visually
impaired women.

They're onto something, because Murrell, who lost her sight at 12 years old
said she came to "show up and show out" at the pageant.

She draws strength from the blind community, including family members, whose
vision loss is hereditary. Murrell's sister, mother and aunt are blind. So
was her late grandfather, whom she said was a big influence.

"He told me to not let anything keep you down."

She doesn't. In two weeks, Murrell will be in Indianapolis with her team,
the New Jersey Honey Bees, to compete for the national championship in
goalball, a team game for blind and visually impaired athletes.

But on Saturday, everyone saw why Murrell was a "Phenomenal Woman" the Maya
Angelou poem she recited. The inspiration of those words was matched by a
gospel song that Mallard sang, "Put a Praise on It" by Tasha Cobbs, which
brought the audience to its feet.

"Remember, don't let nothing stop you from being who you are," said Mallard,
who lost her sight 12 years ago from retinal detachment. "I may have lost my
sight, but I have not lost my vision."

After struggling with blindness as a child and teenager, Knight adopted
Mallard's mindset when she realized that "being blind is not the end of the
world."

Knight just graduated from Union County College, the setting of her video of
independence. It shows how she gets to class, using her support cane to tap
along walls and her senses to hear doors open or vending machine noise to
know when to turn left or right. In the fall, Knight transfers to Kean
University, where she'll be a communications major. At the pageant, she sang
a lovely song about Virginia and was more comfortable in this competition
than last year.

Vocals from Etori transported the audience to Kenya with a traditional
African song she sang about her homeland. She's majoring in computer science
and applied math at Rutgers University-Newark.

"Being blind is the best thing that could have happened to me," said Etori,
explaining that she is more outgoing.

"Can I hear your smile?" Etori asked.

The crowd cheered loudly.

Traveling and trying new things hasn't been a problem for Saffold. Remember
she came from Florida to be in the pageant, a bucket list item she can now
check off.

"God has given me the opportunity to live life," said Saffold, a "gym junky"
who is also president of the National Federation of the Blind of Palm Beach,
Fla.

Alexander, a cancer survivor, tickled the crowd, telling them she was ready
to "rip the runway." Energetic and artistic, Alexander is "always down for a
challenge."

All of the divas were game this past weekend. They danced, blew kisses to
the audience, styled and profiled to music from DJ Blind Wonder, whose real
name is Otis Kerr.

The pageant experience came together with direction from coordinator Detras
Powell, a model coach who said she benefited from the ladies.

"They taught me how to teach them," Powell said. "It taught me to be more
sensitive outside of my world.''

Eyes Like Mine is only four years old, but the impact it delivers seems
longer. Newark Mayor Ras Baraka correctly noted that the founders are not
concerned about position or status.

"They are not interested in the way people look at them or see them," Baraka
said.

They make things happen. They make people feel what they're doing.

Now make some noise. Clap your hands and stomp your feet as loud as you can.

(Image: Tara Invidiato, center, is given flowers by the judges, after being
crowned Ms. Blind Diva.)

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D3FE5C.82DDD9E0]

(Image: While following each other in a group,  contestant Laura Etori blows
a kiss to the crowd.)

[cid:image003.jpg at 01D3FE5C.82DDD9E0]

(Image: Rutgers Newark student Laura Etori is spun around by a Newark
Firefighter Padilla.)

[cid:image004.jpg at 01D3FE5C.82DDD9E0]

Junior Blind Golf

Kathmere Capital Management, May 30, 2018-By: Brian Lynch

Imagine walking out to the first tee on a beautiful spring day.  You can
smell the freshly cut grass, hear the symphony of birds chirping, and feel a
calm breeze on your face.  There's nothing like spending your day in the
outdoors and enjoying this great game with friends.  Now imagine all of
these wonderful feelings that come with golf, but with one thing absent -
your sight.  It may sound a bit startling at first, but when you get to
experience this first hand through the youth of our community, something
amazing happens.  The junior program with the Mid-Atlantic Blind Golf
Association brings together blind and visually impaired youth from the
tristate area with the common goal to learn and enjoy the game of golf.

The program has grown over the past several years and is now accommodating
over 40 visually impaired kids from our area.  Each child gets to enjoy
three unique phases of the program.  First, when the child's family shows
interest, the coordinators of the program, Norman Kritz and Mike Molloy,
will try to match the child with a local teaching professional to work one
on one.  The teaching professionals volunteer their time and energy
throughout the year at no cost.  It's in these lessons that the child will
start to understand the fundamentals of the game.  Second, the program will
host two large outings at the Overbrook School for the Blind in
Philadelphia.  It's a fun-filled day where a nine-hole chip and putt course
will be freshly cut throughout the grounds.  Each child will be accompanied
by a volunteer coach who will work with the child on each and every stroke.

As a volunteer coach, you take your child through the stages of a golf
swing: the stance, swing motion, and grip.  The coach will line up the
child's face of the club with the ball.  And in many cases, kneeling down
and taking the club face to tap the ball a few times, signaling to your
golfer the location of the ball by sound.  It really is a fantastic
experience.  You can't help but admire the resiliency of these kids.  You
soak in the pure joy that emanates from their bodies after a well-connected
shot.  They jump up and down as they hear the clanking of a ball dropping
into the cup.  Their faces light up when the volunteers around them
congratulate them on a well struck drive.  Lastly, there are a dozen other
smaller scaled clinics that are scheduled from the spring to fall.  The
First Tee of Philadelphia and several local public and private courses will
welcome these golfers throughout the year.  Some local schools have had
students volunteer as well, such as Saint Joseph's University and Episcopal
Academy's Golf Team.  Also, each child is provided with clubs, a bag, and
golf balls free of charge.

The tag line of the Mid Atlantic Blind Golf association is 'turning
obstacles into opportunities'.  These kids refuse to let their vision
limitations be an obstacle every day of their lives.   And when you
experience what this program does for the visually impaired and blind youth
of our community, it is truly amazing.  The program would not be possible
without the dedication and energy of the many volunteer coaches, parents,
teaching professionals, and program coordinators.  Even in retirement,
Norman Kritz is still very passionate about his work with Junior Blind Golf,
and you can always count on being greeted with an ear to ear smile from
Norman.  The program would love to get the word out and expand to other
visually impaired and blind youth.  If you are thinking of other ways to
help, the program is consistently looking for volunteers.  The Mid-Atlantic
Blind Golf Association is an awesome opportunity to celebrate the resiliency
of these fantastic children.

For more information please visit: http://www.mabga.org/junior-golf.htm

(Image: Volunteer Coach on course with young blind golfer)

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D3FE55.8B806880]

Farmers market vouchers available for those age 60 and older

NJ.com, June 4, 2018-By: Community Bulletin

Somerset County Freeholder Deputy Director Brian D. Levine invites eligible
residents to apply for vouchers that can be used at participating farmers
markets in Somerset County.

People who are interested can apply for vouchers starting Monday, July 2, at
the Somerset County Office on Aging & Disability Services, located at 27
Warren St., between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Vouchers are worth $25, given out on a
first-come, first-serve basis, and can be used at participating farmers
markets throughout Somerset County until Nov. 30.

Applicants must be 60 years of age or above, reside in Somerset County; and
show proof of age and residency with a driver's license or other
documentation.

In addition, applicants must show proof of all income, including a current
income tax return, W-2 form, recent pay stub, social security statement
award letter, and proof of pension. Bank statements are not considered an
acceptable for proof of income. Income guidelines require that an
individual's income must not exceed $22,459, and a married couple's income
cannot exceed $30,451.

To obtain a Social Security Statement Award Letter contact the Social
Security Office at 1-800-772-1213, or go to their office located at 245
US-22 Suite 207, Bridgewater. Be prepared as some waiting time may be
necessary. If other assistance is needed, please contact the Somerset County
Office on Aging & Disability Services toll free at 1-888-747-1122 or
908-704-6346.

For applicants who cannot apply in-person they may send a representative who
must be at least 16 years old, have personal identification and the
applicant's identification documentation that is listed above. The
representative must provide a proxy statement or letter that is signed and
dated by the applicant stating that the proxy is authorized to pick up the
vouchers. To obtain a proxy form, contact the Somerset County Office on
Aging & Disability Services at 1-888-747-1122 or 908-704-6346.

To learn about other voucher distribution locations or for more information,