[NFBNJ] NFBNJ: [Brl-monitor] The Braille Monitor, June 2018

Brian Mackey bmackey88 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 21:09:26 UTC 2018

>From the desk of NFBNJ President Joe Ruffalo.
Received from Brian Burrow, NFB of California.

                               BRAILLE MONITOR
Vol. 61, No. 6   June 2018
                             Gary Wunder, Editor

      Distributed by email, in inkprint, in Braille, and on USB flash
drive, by the
      NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

      Mark Riccobono, President

      telephone: 410-659-9314
      email address: nfb at nfb.org
      website address: http://www.nfb.org
      NFBnet.org: http://www.nfbnet.org
      NFB-NEWSLINE. information: 866-504-7300
       Like us on Facebook: Facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind
                      Follow us on Twitter: @NFB_Voice
            Watch and share our videos: YouTube.com/NationsBlind

Letters to the President, address changes, subscription requests, and
orders for NFB literature should be sent to the national office. Articles
for the Monitor and letters to the editor may also be sent to the national
office or may be emailed to gwunder at nfb.org.

Monitor subscriptions cost the Federation  about  forty  dollars  per  year.
Members  are  invited,  and  nonmembers  are   requested,   to   cover   the
subscription cost. Donations should be made payable to  National  Federation
of the Blind and sent to:

      National Federation of the Blind
      200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place
      Baltimore, Maryland 21230-4998

    THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND KNOWS THAT BLINDNESS IS NOT THE
   CHARACTERISTIC THAT DEFINES YOU OR YOUR FUTURE. EVERY DAY WE RAISE THE
   EXPECTATIONS OF BLIND PEOPLE, BECAUSE LOW EXPECTATIONS CREATE OBSTACLES
    BETWEEN BLIND PEOPLE AND OUR DREAMS. YOU CAN LIVE THE LIFE YOU WANT;
 BLINDNESS IS NOT WHAT HOLDS YOU BACK. THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND
 IS NOT AN ORGANIZATION SPEAKING FOR THE BLIND-IT IS THE BLIND SPEAKING FOR
                                 OURSELVES.
ISSN 0006-8829
) 2018 by the National Federation of the Blind
      Each issue is recorded on a thumb drive (also called a memory stick
or USB flash drive). You can read this audio edition using a computer or a
National Library Service digital player. The NLS machine has two slots-the
familiar book-cartridge slot just above the retractable carrying handle and
a second slot located on the right side near the headphone jack. This
smaller slot is used to play thumb drives. Remove the protective rubber pad
covering this slot and insert the thumb drive. It will insert only in one
position. If you encounter resistance, flip the drive over and try again.
(Note: If the cartridge slot is not empty when you insert the thumb drive,
the digital player will ignore the thumb drive.) Once the thumb drive is
inserted, the player buttons will function as usual for reading digital
materials. If you remove the thumb drive to use the player for cartridges,
when you insert it again, reading should resume at the point you stopped.
      You can transfer the recording of each issue from the thumb drive to
your computer or preserve it on the thumb drive. However, because thumb
drives can be used hundreds of times, we would appreciate their return in
order to stretch our funding. Please use the return envelope enclosed with
the drive when you return the device.

[PHOTO/CAPTION: The Rosen Shingle Creek Resort]

Orlando Site of 2018 NFB Convention

            The 2018 convention of the National Federation of the Blind
will take place in Orlando, Florida, July 3 to July 8, at the Rosen Shingle
Creek Resort, 9939 Universal Boulevard, Orlando, Florida 32819-9357. Make
your room reservation as soon as possible with the Shingle Creek staff
only. Call 866-996-6338.
            The 2018 room rates are singles and doubles, $88; and for
triples and quads $93. In addition to the room rates there will be a tax,
which at present is 12.5 percent. No charge will be made for children under
seventeen in the room with parents as long as no extra bed is requested.
The hotel is accepting reservations now. A $100-per-room deposit is
required to make a reservation. Fifty percent of the deposit will be
refunded if notice is given to the hotel of a reservation cancellation
before June 1, 2018. The other 50 percent is not refundable.
            Rooms will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Reservations may be made before June 1, 2018, assuming that rooms are still
available. After that time the hotel will not hold our room block for the
convention. In other words, you should get your reservation in soon.
            All Rosen Shingle Creek guestrooms feature amenities that
include plush Creek Sleeper beds, 40" flat screen TVs, complimentary high-
speed internet service, in-room safes, coffee makers, mini-fridges, and
hair dryers. Guests can also enjoy a swimming pool, fitness center, and on-
site spa. The Rosen Shingle Creek Resort has a number of dining options,
including two award-winning restaurants, and twenty-four-hour-a-day room
service.

The schedule for the 2018 convention is:

Tuesday, July 3 Seminar Day
Wednesday, July 4 Registration and Resolutions Day
Thursday, July 5 Board Meeting and Division Day
Friday, July 6 Opening Session
Saturday, July 7 Business Session
Sunday, July 8 Banquet Day and Adjournment

Vol.  61,  No.  6                                                       June
2018

      Contents

Illustration: Chopped Challenge at the Colorado Center for the Blind

It's the Economics, Stupid
by Dylan Hedtler-Gaudette

Convention 101: Answers to the Questions about the National Federation of
the Blind National Convention
by Candice Chapman

Blind New Mexicans Can Now Vote with Accessible Absentee Ballots
by Curtis Chong

My First Day at the State Capitol
by Rocky Hart

If Only I Had Braille When . . .
by Terri Rupp

What Does Helen Keller's Legacy Mean to the Organized Blind Movement and
the World Beyond?
by Kane Brolin

KNFB Reader V3.0 Teaching an Old Dog New Tricks
by Joel Zimba

Driving Blind on the Information Superhighway-Basic Interactions: The Fast
Lane to Getting Stuff Done on the Web
by Amy Mason

Echo Cue
by Kevan Worley

Living the Movement: Ferret Federationists
by Priscilla McKinley

Seeing
by Lauren McKinley

Recipes

Monitor Miniatures

[PHOTO/CAPTION: His team under the pressure of the clock, Loren McDaniel
focuses on coring and slicing apples

[PHOTO/CAPTION: Left to right Tyler Cannon, Nick Isenberg, and Annette
Wilson present their dish entitled Shipwreck, featuring a life raft of
Cheeto-encrusted Texas toast manned by a fig floating above shoals of a
stir-fry. Abdi Mumi on the opposing team is working behind them.

[PHOTO/CAPTION: Presentation counts for a lot, so Tyler Cannon takes care
as he fills bowls for the judges

[PHOTO/CAPTION: Tad Stuckey runs beets, cauliflower and carrots through the
food processor for a slaw.

[PHOTO/CAPTION: Teammates Rebecca Jackson (left) and Ravi Hudson (right)
empty a can into a bowl as they prepare their team's sweet potato waffles

[PHOTO/CAPTION: The panel of judges Delfina Rodriguez (left) and Dishon
Spears (right) lean in for private consultation with Maureen Nietfeld
(center) on one class's creations

           Chopped Challenge at the Colorado Center for the Blind

      At our NFB training centers we push our blind students to go beyond
what they imagined they could do. In a world where expectations of blind
people are often low, the willingness to push beyond the known is what
makes the difference between living the lives we want and just dreaming
about them. Many new students come to training never having used a sharp
kitchen knife or cooked on a hot stove, or maybe they have recently become
blind and lack the technique and the confidence to do these common things
nonvisually. Soon they're chopping and slicing, using a hot oven, and in
fact "cooking with gas." As they graduate, having faced and completed the
big requirements, cooking a well-planned meal for dozens, and finding their
way back to the center after a drop in an unknown part of the city, they
admit that they didn't think they'd ever be able to do these things. And
yet they have. The not-so-secret formula is now part of them-they know how
to push themselves beyond simply what they know to what they want to know
and need to do. Our NFB training center graduates have succeeded in pushing
themselves beyond their fears and low expectations, so their blindness can
no longer hold them back.
      In April the Colorado Center for the Blind Home Management staff put
a twist on challenge in the kitchen by staging a "Chopped" contest.
Inspired by the popular TV show, four classes over two days were divided
into two teams each and given a cart full of sometimes strange ingredients
and two hours, forty-five minutes to brainstorm, prepare, and present their
meal to the panel of expert judges-namely, their teachers. One competition,
for example, had to create a meal out of figs, stew meat, hoisin sauce,
Cheetos, Smarties, dill pickles, and Texas toast. While much of what is
taught in the kitchen is about planning and preparing, this exercise is
about dealing with the unexpected under extreme conditions and working with
your teammates toward a positive-if not always spectacular-outcome. And
what happens when the stew meat burns? We won't give away any secrets, but
the broader answer is to problem-solve and press on to the end, because in
order to live the lives we want, sometimes that's what it's going to take.

[PHOTO SHOWCASE: Dylan Hedtler-Gaudette]
                         It's the Economics, Stupid
                          by Dylan Hedtler-Gaudette

      From the Editor: Dylan Hedtler-Gaudette was born and raised in Maine
and now lives in Baltimore, Maryland, with his partner and two cats. He has
a background in the mission-driven nonprofit sector and has been a member
of the Government Affairs team of the National Federation of the Blind
since May of 2017. Dylan is an avid fitness enthusiast, a political junkie,
and loves following his favorite Boston sports team, especially the Red Sox
and Celtics. He says he loves to write and would like to contribute more to
the Braille Monitor. After reading his article I hope you will be as
excited about this prospect as I am. Here is what he says:

      There are few things more infuriating than inconsistency in a logical
argument. It is maddening when your opponent in a debate, especially an
existentially important one, appears to be making an argument that you know
to be false or, to be more charitable, that is confusing when considered
alongside other things you know to be true.
      This state of confusion and irritation is where I have found myself
ever since I joined the government affairs team here at the Jernigan
Institute and began actively working on our opposition to H.R. 620, the
"ADA Education and Reform Act of 2017." This bill, which was passed by the
House of Representatives in February, represents an example of a broader
push for a "notice and cure" provision within the Americans with
Disabilities Act (ADA). For the purposes of this writing, I will refer to
the broad "notice and cure" construct and not so much to H.R. 620
specifically. Though everything said about notice and cure applies equally
to H.R. 620.
      As a quick primer on notice and cure, it is first vital to know that
it would fundamentally alter the way people with disabilities enforce their
rights under the ADA. It requires that a person who has encountered an
access barrier that violates his or her rights, typically his or her rights
to equal access to places of public accommodation under Title III of the
ADA, first provide written notice to the proprietor of the place of public
accommodation in question and then permit that proprietor some specifically-
defined amount of time to cure the problem. Hence, we have "notice and
cure."
      As the ADA currently stands, a person who has encountered an access
barrier that violates his or her rights under Title III of the ADA may
pursue one of three immediate options: 1) They can seek a private
resolution by negotiating directly with the proprietor; 2) They may file a
complaint with the Department of Justice (DOJ), and the issue will be
investigated; or 3) They may file a private lawsuit in order to seek
redress of the violation. It is essential to point out that under the
federal ADA a plaintiff may not seek money as a part of the lawsuit, only
redress of the access barrier. There are, however, some states that have
passed their own state-level versions of the ADA that do permit a person
filing a lawsuit alleging a violation of the ADA to seek money as a part of
the dispute.
      While there are many problems with a notice and cure framework, one
of the most glaring ones is the negative effect it would have on proactive
compliance with the ADA. It is often said by those of us who oppose notice
and cure that it would produce a wait and see approach to compliance with
the ADA, which is a slap in the face to the original intent of the law.
Think of it this way-why would a business proactively comply with
accessibility requirements under the ADA if they are not legally obligated
to do so until they receive a notice from a person who has encountered an
access barrier and thus have had her or his rights violated?
      And here is where the frustrating part of the argument comes into
play. The groups actively promoting notice and cure and those who were
largely responsible for H.R. 620 do not acknowledge the new reality that
notice and cure will produce. They represent large and powerful sectors of
the business community and were the key to successfully passing H.R. 620 in
the House of Representatives. They lament the existence of "drive-by" and
"serial" lawsuits as being prohibitively onerous on the business community.
These types of unscrupulous legal activities do exist, though on a much
smaller scale than the business community would have us believe. But
supporters of H.R. 620 simply will not accept or affirm the undermining
effect on the rights of people with disabilities that notice and cure would
have. They often stress how much they admire the ADA and how most
businesses genuinely want to comply and welcome customers with
disabilities. But, according to these groups, it is just too difficult to
know how to comply with the ADA, and it is only reasonable that all of the
burden of education and enforcement should be placed on the backs of people
with disabilities.
      The National Federation of the Blind, as readers will know, rejects
the premise of notice and cure and the arguments that undergird it. Notice
and cure unacceptably diminishes the civil rights of people with
disabilities, and we stand ready to fight these efforts, armed with both
moral and legal counter-arguments.
      One category of counter-argument that does not receive enough
attention lies in the realm of economics. More specifically,
microeconomics.
      A bit of personal background on me. I am an economics enthusiast and
as such I studied and obtained a degree in economics during my
undergraduate studies, and then I continued that focus on the study of
economics in graduate school. As a result of this interest and this
training, I tend to analyze problems and assess issues through the lens of
economics and the principles associated with the discipline.
      There are two bedrock principles of microeconomics that can tell us a
lot about why notice and cure will lead to an exacerbation of the problem
of noncompliance with the ADA. Those two principles are rational choice
theory and profit-maximization. I will briefly describe both ideas below
and then demonstrate why they should deliver the finishing blow to any
argument favoring a notice and cure provision that posits that it would not
have a negative effect on ADA compliance.
      Rational Choice Theory: This is a key principle that lies at the core
of much of the economics discipline. In short, rational choice theory
asserts that people and firms are rational actors and as such, will pursue
the rational economic decision in most instances. The "rational" thing to
do is to make the decision that produces the most pleasure and the least
displeasure. The term often used in this case is "utility," which is
another way of capturing pleasure or satisfaction. So maximizing the
utility we gain from any given decision is the goal of a rational actor,
and that actor will therefore make the decision most likely to result in
the highest level of utility for that individual.
      The theory further posits that if everyone pursues this rational
course of action, the overall level of utility across a given society or
economy will increase. Efficiency will also increase, according to this
theory, as rational choices will produce the most efficient allocation of
resources, and this will also produce a positive aggregate outcome.
      Profit-maximization: This is a concept connected to rational choice,
but it relates more to decisions made by businesses. The basic idea here is
that businesses will always seek to generate the highest possible level of
income while simultaneously striving to minimize the costs of production.
The cost of production is comprised of a variety of factors, called
"inputs," that range from labor costs to the cost of raw materials to
compliance costs, among others. The ultimate goal of the firm at the most
basic level is to maximize profit, which is income minus costs.
      The merging of rational choice theory and profit-maximization means
that in order to be the most efficient and successful business, rational
choices about income and costs must be made in order to keep profits as
high as possible. This is especially true if the business in question is a
publicly traded company, answerable to shareholders. In this instance,
businesses actually have a legal obligation (called the "fiduciary"
obligation) to generate the highest possible profits and, in turn, the most
shareholder value through higher share prices.
      We can now take these fundamental principles of microeconomics and
apply them to our arguments against notice and cure. It is also important
to note that businesses would likely agree with everything laid out above
about rational choices and profit-maximization; we are not making wild or
erroneous assumptions about the views and actions of the business
community. These are widely held and generally agreed upon pillars of
economics and business management practice.
      So here is the point: if businesses are rational, profit-maximizing
actors with a responsibility to act in this way (especially if they are
publicly traded companies), what possible incentive would any of them have
to proactively and consistently comply with their obligations under the
ADA? Remember that rational choice theory lays out the virtues of making
self-interested decisions that produce the most personal gain possible.
Remember that the profit-maximizing imperative of businesses shapes their
production strategies and budget objectives.
      Businesses will always avoid expenses they do not have to incur in
order to keep the margin between income and costs as large as possible. Or,
in other words, in order to maximize profits. If it will cost a business x
to install a wheelchair ramp or y to purchase an accessible point-of-sale
(POS) machine, they will not do it unless they have to. If notice and cure
becomes an enshrined part of the ADA and creates a wait and see
environment, what reason would a rational, profit-maximizing firm have to
ever install that ramp or buy that POS machine before receiving a notice
letter from a person with a disability?
      The implications here are straightforward and alarming. Businesses
exist to generate profits and complying with the ADA will, by definition,
reduce by some degree the profit margin. If businesses are not required to
comply with the ADA proactively, and if they do not have the incentive to
do so out of a desire to avoid legal action, they never will comply
proactively. It would be, in strictly economic terms, irrational for them
to do so. And this is a key argument against notice and cure and one that
we should be making more forcefully. If we can speak in their language and
demonstrate that we know how business works and how economics work, we can
better isolate and knock down their arguments in favor of notice and cure.
In doing so, we can deliver the death blow to this effort and safeguard the
civil rights of people with disabilities for the foreseeable future.
                                 ----------
[PHOTO CAPTION: Candice Chapman]
               Convention 101: Answers to the Questions about
          the National Federation of the Blind National Convention
                             by Candice Chapman

      From the Editor: Candice Chapman is a leader in the National
Federation of the Blind of Mississippi. She is also a leader in our student
division, a member of the scholarship committee, and an absolute joy to be
around. Here is what she says for our first-timers:

      There are many ways to describe a National Federation of the Blind
national convention. Convention is exciting, fun, and enlightening. It's an
opportunity to reconnect with friends, meet new people, and network with a
diverse group of professionals in a variety of fields. The things that
convention can be in the midst of all the connection points and interesting
meetings is stressful and overwhelming. I recall feeling the excitement and
the stress during my first national convention. After attending nine
conventions I've learned a few things that make the experience a pleasant
one time and time again. It's my hope that by sharing a few tidbits with
you, that you can plan well and have an altogether fun, exciting, and
stress-free NFB national convention!

Packing for Convention
      I've often been told that the best place to start is the beginning,
so the beginning it is. Before you can come to national convention, you
have to pack. The right clothes are an absolutely essential part of a
stress-free convention. When considering what to fill your suitcase with,
keep a couple of things in mind. First things first: our national
convention is held in Orlando, Florida, this year. It's very hot and often
rainy in Orlando, so you want to pack clothing that will ensure your
comfort in hot and rainy weather. Keep that in mind. The second point here
is that our national convention is a professional conference. I'd recommend
finding a balance between business and business casual for most days. The
exception to this will be on our banquet night. This is a formal banquet
which means formal attire is most appropriate. Let's be clear, I'm not
saying it's a requirement to go out and buy a fancy ball gown or rent a
tuxedo. I would, however, recommend wearing whatever you consider to be a
level above your business casual wear.
      Just to summarize, for the week of convention, save your flip-flops
and tank tops for your down time, and plan for your slacks and button downs
during meeting times. One last thing to mention on your convention wardrobe
planning: the hotel is very large, and you'll be doing quite a bit of
walking. Make sure your footwear is good for keeping your feet comfortable
      Clothing aside, you'll also want to pay attention to a few details
regarding your belongings. You'll want to make sure that you've marked your
luggage in such a way that you are able to locate it at baggage claim. Feel
free to use whatever method works for you. Whether it be some sort of
ribbon, bandana, colorful tape, or a keychain, the important thing is that
you can identify your belongings when the time comes. In the same vein,
you'll want to have some sort of identifying features you can use to
identify any technology or other accessories that belong to you.

Arrival at the Convention
      You've crossed the hurdle of packing for convention; congratulations.
Now you need to get there. Once you make it to the hotel, you'll want to do
a few things. If you're a guide dog user, you'll want to locate the relief
areas. In the next section of this article, you will find good sources of
information. Relief area information can be found there. While we're
talking about guide dogs, it's probably a good idea to direct you to the
National Association of Guide Dog Users. They will have all sorts of good
information that will help to make sure that your guide dog has a stress-
free convention as well.
      Another thing that you will need to do after you settle in at the
hotel will be to register. You will be able to find registration details in
your convention agenda. One of the things you'll receive when you register
is a banquet ticket. Make sure to hang onto this ticket because you will
need to exchange it for the ticket you will use on banquet night. The
banquet exchange will open after general session begins. Be sure to listen
for the announcement during the sessions so you won't miss it. When they
make the announcement, the entire process will be explained.

Good sources of information
      Now that you're all packed and on your way to convention, you'll want
to know where to get good information. One of the first places to find it
is the information table. On the days prior to general session, you can
find the information table in the hotel lobby. Once general session begins,
the information table will migrate to the designated registration area
(you'll be able to find details for registration in your convention
agenda). It's been my experience that there's not a whole lot they don't
know at the information table, and if they don't know, they can certainly
tell you how to find out. No matter its location, the information table is
one of the best sources you will have. Another place for good information
is the presidential suite. The presidential suite will have all sorts of
information that you might need for convention such as the location of your
state caucus. Aside from useful information, the presidential suite is also
a good place to meet Federation leaders, grab a snack, or just take a
breather. Keep in mind that even though the presidential suite is home to
the President, he is not always there. You can schedule a meeting with him
by calling the Presidential Suite or stopping by and doing so in person.
Expect that the meeting will likely last only a few minutes. The President
is very busy during the convention, so please be understanding if you don't
get a chance to have a one-on-one meeting with him.
      Other locations to get good information are the hospitality suite,
which is sponsored by the host committee for the convention and the
convention arrangements suite. The locations of all three of these will be
found in the preface information in the convention agenda. A final source
for good information is your state affiliate. If by chance you don't come
to convention knowing how to get in touch with yours, there's a few ways to
do so. You can find affiliate contact information in the presidential
suite. Additionally, once general sessions begin, you can find your
affiliate designated by a large sign. The sign is labeled in both print and
Braille.

Managing Convention Agenda, Exhibit Hall and Independence Market
      Alright, you've packed well, know where to get good information, so
now what's next? In the early days of the convention you'll have a chance
to register, explore the exhibit hall, and the independence market. When
you register, you'll get a hard copy of the convention agenda. The agenda
can be overwhelming because there are a lot of things going on all at once.
Here's where things can get overwhelming; here is also where I'll tell you
a few things that I hope will help you not feel overwhelmed by this big
document.
      Remember that the agenda will be available online prior to
convention. Having it before arriving is hugely helpful because it allows
you to familiarize yourself with what will be going on all week. Going
through the agenda beforehand also gives you a chance to decide what you're
interested in doing and prioritize. There's absolutely no way that you'll
be able to do and go to everything. Making priorities before arriving will
help to minimize stress. Tackling the exhibit hall and independence market
can also be a stressful experience. I would suggest handling it the same
way you would handle the agenda: check out what's available online before
convention and then prioritize.
      One note about the independence market: Don't make the mistake of
waiting until the market is about to close; the last day it is open can be
very busy, so go as early as you can.

Tips on Avoiding the Crowds
      You can expect to have to deal with crowds at our national
convention; everyone's excited to be there, so be prepared for some shout
outs from old friends meeting up. Here's a few ways that you can avoid the
crowds if bumping shoulders with fellow Federationists isn't your cup of
tea. Two places that you'll find lots of crowding are in the hallways
between events and in the elevators and their waiting areas. One way to
avoid the crowding in both places is to leave more than ten minutes before
the event you're attending begins. Most people will be heading out around
this time. Leaving early also affords you the opportunity to take alternate
routes to the meeting area. One of those alternate routes could be the
stairs or perhaps following the same route to the meeting area except
taking an outdoor path instead of inside. As you can imagine, this option
is not always a popular one in the heat, so you are guaranteed a far less
crowded commute. Similarly, the stairs are a less popular option than the
elevators.

Meeting Room Etiquette
      Let's talk just for a minute about etiquette in meetings. I'll
reiterate that the national convention is a professional conference.
Remember when in a meeting to silence your cell phones, and if you have to
take or make a call, step out of the room until it is concluded. Another
thing to note about the hotel is that smoking is not allowed. This includes
e-cigarettes. A good rule of thumb for meetings is to give the respect to
the speakers and fellow audience members that you would like to have in
their place.

Social Interactions
      You're likely to meet lots of friendly people who may invite you to
hang out in a variety of settings. No matter what the setting, it's
important to exercise caution. Don't leave beverages that you may have
unattended, and if you find yourself in a setting where there is perhaps an
"unofficial bartender," it is probably a good idea to express even more
caution and even consider obtaining your own beverage that you can verify
is safe. It's important that we all are responsible for our beverages and
behavior. The expectation at our convention is that we will treat each
other with civility, kindness, and respect. One other note about etiquette
in the bar, outside of not leaving your drink unattended, is to remember to
tip your server. Keep in mind that standard manners and conventions dictate
20 percent. Tips often are the major source of income for wait staff
whether in a bar or restaurant.

Bits and Pieces
      Here are a few final thoughts that will help to prepare you for your
national convention experience. Be sure to practice self-care. Taking care
of yourself during this busy week will go a long way in helping reduce
stress. If you're feeling overwhelmed, take a break. Be sure to eat. I know
that seems like a no-brainer, but neglecting to have a decent meal is
something that happens to the best of us. Wait times can be rather lengthy,
so make sure to have snacks just in case you can't get a meal right away.
It's also very important to stay hydrated. Like I said earlier, it's hot in
Orlando. Be sure to drink plenty of water around the clock.
      It is my sincere hope that the information offered in this article is
helpful to you. Pack well, travel safe, and we'll see you in Orlando!
                                 ----------
[PHOTO/CAPTION: Curtis Chong uses his computer to access the website for
voting in New Mexico.]

      Blind New Mexicans Can Now Vote with Accessible Absentee Ballots
                               by Curtis Chong

      From the Editor: Curtis Chong has been a strong advocate in the many
states in which he has lived. He is best known for his work with technical
issues, having for a long time served as the president of the National
Federation of the Blind in Computer Science. He now works in the state of
New Mexico as the manager of assistive technology at the New Mexico
Commission for the Blind, where he continues to push for nonvisual access
in education, recreation, and employment.
      Here is what he has to say about the march of the blind to gain a
completely secret voting experience, in this case using an absentee ballot:

      Whenever blind Americans participate in a local, state, or federal
election, we have been able to use voting machines at the polls which (if
not as helpful as we might like) afford us the opportunity to mark our
ballots in secret without anyone having to know whom we have voted for. But
if we want to vote using a printed absentee ballot, those of us who do not
see well enough to fill out a printed form must necessarily rely on the
help of someone else to mark the ballot, meaning that our ballot is no
longer truly secret.
      In the fall of 2014, blind voters in the state of Maryland, for the
first time in history, were able to cast a truly secret absentee ballot
through the use of a fully-accessible online ballot marking system. They
logged on to a secure website using the access technology of their choice,
marked the ballot using an accessible web form, downloaded the
appropriately marked ballot to their computers, printed the ballot, and
mailed it in. This significant achievement, which would not have occurred
without the hard work of the National Federation of the Blind, clearly
proved that technology could be used to make the absentee ballot fully
accessible to blind voters.
      Members of the National Federation of the Blind of New Mexico were
inspired by this exciting development in Maryland, and so, at the
organization's 2015 convention, the membership unanimously adopted a
resolution which declared that the time had come for the printed absentee
ballot to be accessible to the blind of New Mexico and for the state of New
Mexico to have an accessible online ballot marking tool of its own. This
was only the beginning of a long, three-year process-a process which has
resulted in an accessible online ballot marking system which is having its
debut for the June 2018 primary election.
      Three things happened to make all of this possible: First, the state
of Maryland was willing to give its source code away for free, meaning that
software could be deployed in New Mexico without the costly effort of
writing an entirely new system.
      Secondly, the blind of New Mexico had two champions in the state
legislature. They were Representative Tomas Salazar and Senator Daniel Ivey-
Soto, both of whom cosponsored the necessary enabling legislation and
worked energetically on our behalf.
      Last but not least, we found an incredible ally in the person of
Maggie Toulouse Oliver, New Mexico's Secretary of State, who testified
publicly and enthusiastically in support of the legislation that would give
us the accessible online ballot marking system and who inspired her office
to work closely with the organized blind to ensure a smooth implementation.
      Here is how the voting process works. Voters visit a Voter
Information Portal website and request an absentee ballot. Three pieces of
information are requested: the voter's state identification number, Social
Security number, and date of birth. If the voter is already registered and
has verified that the correct mailing address is stored in the system, an
absentee ballot can then be requested. Blind voters request the ballot that
is accessible to the blind and check the box which certifies the following:
"I hereby state under penalty of perjury that the following is true and
correct:
      "I am an individual who is blind or visually impaired, and my
blindness or visual impairment prevents me from being able to independently
complete a standard absentee ballot;
      "I understand and agree that this statement is made under penalty of
perjury pursuant to federal law. I further understand and agree that this
statement is also covered by New Mexico law which makes perjury a fourth
degree felony."
      Once the application has been verified and approved, the county clerk
mails a packet of two envelopes to the blind voter. A smaller envelope is
meant to hold the ballot, and the larger envelope contains the smaller
ballot envelope and a signed and dated voter certificate. While the blind
voter might need some help to sign and date the voter certificate, there is
no need for anyone to see the printed ballot before it is inserted into its
own envelope. Once the envelopes reach the county clerk's office, the
ballot (in its sealed envelope) is immediately separated from the voter
certificate. Thus, no one thereafter will know who marked the ballot in the
first place.
      All of this does require the blind voter to have a working email
address, a computer, and a printer. Moreover, the blind voter must be
reasonably proficient with navigating through web pages and filling out
online forms. While there are those who might complain about this, the
reality is that in today's technologically-oriented world, these are the
basic essentials for any online activity. The important thing to keep in
mind here is that through our own organization, the National Federation of
the Blind, we have proven that the printed absentee ballot can be made
nonvisually accessible and our right to a secret ballot thus maintained.
                                 ----------
[PHOTO CAPTION: Rocky Hart]
                         My First Day at the Capitol
                                by Rocky Hart

      From the Editor: Rocky Hart is a freshman at the Minnesota State
Academy for the Blind. He is also a member of the National Federation of
the Blind of Minnesota. Rocky is a reflective and articulate young man who
writes with excitement, wisdom, and conciseness beyond his years. Here is
what he has to say about his first visit to the Minnesota state capitol:

      Earlier this year I had the great honor and privilege of attending
the National Federation of the Blind Washington Seminar in Washington, DC,
where I had the opportunity to advocate for every blind person in America.
I met with four members of Congress to discuss issues affecting blind
people and had a wonderful time. Nearly a month later, I was invited to our
affiliate's "Day at the Capitol." When I received this invitation, the big
day was only a week away, and as much as I wanted to attend, I was
concerned that I could not arrange for transportation and supervision in a
timely manner. Fortunately, just the opposite happened. One of the staff
from MSAB (Minnesota State Academy for the Blind) agreed to transport me,
and all I needed to do was read our fact sheets, make appointments with my
state legislators, and get prepared for the adventure I was about to have.
      When I arrived at the capitol, I was pared up with Steve Jacobson,
the vice president of our affiliate, who was also one of my team members in
Washington, and we would attend our appointments together. We had four
scheduled appointments, all with members of the Minnesota House of
Representatives. The priorities we were focused on were the protection of
the rights of blind parents, funding a study to establish a program at the
University of Minnesota to license teachers of the blind/visually impaired,
and maintaining and creating accessible voting machines to insure
blind/visually-impaired people could cast a secret ballot.
      Our first appointment of the day was with one of the representatives
from the Twin Cities area, though I cannot remember how to pronounce his
name. He seemed very interested in what we were proposing. In regard to the
issue of teachers of the blind/visually impaired, he said he was willing to
write a bill if we could not find any other author.
      In my opinion our second appointment ended up being by far the best
appointment of the day. We met with Republican Representative Ron Kresha,
who represents the Ninth Congressional District in Minnesota, located
geographically very close to the district in which I reside. He also serves
on the educational finance committee, the same group I testified before
when advocating for budgetary requests for MSAB. For that reason we began
our meeting by discussing the TVI issue. He not only pledged to support us;
he offered to draft a bill for us once we provided him with the appropriate
language. Of course we said yes. He asked me specifically to testify before
the committee once the bill was drafted, and I said I would. He also agreed
to support us on our other legislative priorities.
      Our third appointment was with Rita Moran, a Democrat from the
educational finance committee, who is also supporting us in our work. Our
fourth and final appointment of the day was with one of my own local
representatives: John Poston, a Republican who also coincidently serves on
the educational finance committee. He agreed to support and co-sponsor any
bill we wish to draft regarding the issue of teachers of the blind/visually
impaired, as well as the issues concerning the rights of blind parents and
accessible voting machines. I took photos with both Ron Kresha and John
Poston. I left the capitol knowing my effectiveness in advocating for the
blind of Minnesota payed off and generated huge success, and I was more
assured than ever that our state legislators are behind us.
      Over the course of four months I have attended the NFB of Minnesota
state convention resolutions meeting, the 2018 Washington Seminar, and now
the Day at the Capitol. I do not take these opportunities for granted, nor
do I take credit for them. I thank God for all of these privileges. Though
what we are advocating for are our rights to live up to our fullest
potential, I view advocating in and of itself as both a great honor,
privilege, and an obligation. We are privileged with the opportunity to go
to our local, state, and national legislators to advocate for our rights,
yet we must do this if we are to live up to our fullest potential. As
members of the National Federation of the Blind know better than anyone,
there are still many misconceptions and superstitions among the sighted
population about how we simply go about our daily lives. After all, we
can't...right? We in the NFB know the truth: we can live the lives we want.
That is what we need to demonstrate to our sighted counterparts and elected
officials. I have done just that through my advocacy at the legislature. In
addition to education, advocacy, and optimism, one of the most important
attributes we must have as blind people is faith. Once we advocate, we
should then be optimistic and faithful that we will get what we so
rightfully deserve. This is what I have done through all of my legislative
work, and it is what I will continue to do for many more years to come!
                                 ----------
[PHOTO CAPTION: Terri and Marley Rupp]
                        If Only I Had Braille When...
                                by Terri Rupp

      From the Editor: Terri Rupp is the mother of two children, one of
whom is blind. She serves as the president of the National Federation of
the Blind of Nevada, and this article is taken from a blog she composed
several years ago. It is as relevant now as it was when it was written:

If only I had Braille when...I was a child learning how to read.

If only I had Braille when...my classes took turns reading out loud, and I
was skipped over because I couldn't even read the large print books that
the schools provided me.

If only I had Braille when...the waiter handed me the menu when I sat down
with my friends at a restaurant.

If only I had Braille when...my kids asked me to read the signs on the
trails where we were hiking.

If only I had Braille when...my son had a 102-degree fever, and I had a
brand-new box of medicine and didn't know the correct dosage to give him.

If only I had Braille when...I was reading the directions on the box of
blueberry muffin mix.

If only I had Braille when...I wanted to read a nutrition label on a
granola bar wrapper.

If only I had Braille when...my kids find a new book and want me to read it
to them.

If only I had been offered Braille as a child instead of fighting to learn
it as an adult.

If only Braille was as common as print.

If only all blind or visually impaired children were taught Braille so they
wouldn't have to struggle to read as adults.

      Braille is something that I am very passionate about. Tonight as I
was reading my children their bedtime stories, I started thinking, "If only
I had Braille when..."
      Did you know that only 10 percent of blind or visually impaired
children are taught Braille? Did you know that as a child I struggled to
read large print, fell behind in school, and worked twice as hard as my
peers to keep up? Did you know that I didn't fully become literate until
the age of twenty-three when I finally learned Braille? What if only 10
percent of sighted children were taught how to read?
      I have to admit that I haven't thought about these things quite as
much in the last few years. However, now I am teaching my own daughter how
to read and write, and now I am personally transcribing many of the books
that are on their bookshelves into Braille so that I can read to them
because it is faster than waiting for new Braille/print books.
      As a child I used to wish that I could be either completely sighted or
completely blind so that I wouldn't have to be stuck in the middle, always
having to explain my so-called disability. Now all I wish for is for more
Braille: More Braille for blind children learning how to read; More Braille
for blind adults all over the world; More Braille. More Braille. More
Braille.
                                 ----------
  What Does Helen Keller's Legacy Mean to the Organized Blind Movement and
                              the World Beyond?
                               by Kane Brolin

      From the Editor: It is almost a sure bet that everyone who reads this
will know the name Helen Keller. I was so fascinated with the book The
Miracle Worker that I actually stayed up most of the night reading it in
Braille. Regardless what we may say about blindness, most of us found Helen
Keller's story inspirational, and those of us who saw the movie marveled at
the way Patty Duke played the role.

      For all the prominence that Helen Keller has had, we really know
little about her life after becoming a civilized human being. We know that
she traveled and met some famous people, but how did she feel about family,
who were her friends, and what were her political views as she lived
through World War I, World War II, and observed not only America but other
countries?

      Kane Brolin begins to open the door for us by showing that there was
more to Helen Keller than the miracle girl who was transformed from wild
child to civilized dinner guest and speaker. He also hints at the box we
can be put into when people believe they know us and demand that we act as
expected. Here is what he says:

      "Read the dictionary and you will find that a miracle is defined as
some great and wonderful quality that can be brought to pass. ... How then,
can one go about expecting miracles and causing miracles to happen? The
number 1 thing is to have a tremendous faith, a deep faith, a faith that is
so positively strong that it rises above doubt. ... if you train yourself
to have faith in depth, it will release an astonishing power in your life
to produce miracles. ... The great people of the world are miracle makers."
      These quotations, reproduced in Guideposts Magazine, are attributed
to Dr. Norman Vincent Peale. For more than fifty years, Peale served as
pastor of Marble Collegiate Church in New York City and was legendary in
his promotion of "the power of positive thinking" to a worldwide audience.
Given Dr. Peale's lifelong fascination with what it takes to produce
miracles, it is perhaps not surprising that he openly counted himself a
champion of another American dignitary whom many people think of as a
walking miracle: Helen Adams Keller. In the foreword to Ms. Keller's book
My Religion, Norman Vincent Peale wrote: "If a worldwide poll were to be
taken to determine the most outstanding woman of our generation, note that
the top selection would be Helen Keller. The work she has done for the
blind and other handicapped people throughout the world is enormous, and
many a person with or without handicaps has been inspired by Helen Keller's
books."
      Growing up totally blind but having been educated in an integrated
public school system, I knew virtually nothing about the impact of the
organized blind movement. Even though I grew up in Iowa at a time when Dr.
Kenneth Jernigan was at the height of his influence in that state, I was
blissfully unaware of how much struggle the National Federation of the
Blind was engaged in right then to further the equality, opportunity, and
security of the blind. But I had heard of Helen Keller. Pretty much
everybody among my sighted classmates had, too. But the Helen Keller we
thought we knew was at best a cartoon character. There was the image of the
"wild animal" that no one could control at age six, who had no idea how to
communicate or eat with utensils. A terrifying image of this primal child
is reproduced in the preface to Helen Keller's famous autobiography My
Life, written when she was just twenty-three years of age: "Once, in a
likely fit of jealous rage, Helen overturned the cradle of her younger
sister Mildred. Had Kate Keller not caught the baby before she crashed to
the floor, one can only imagine what might have happened to the child.
There was nothing anyone could do to reach Helen. She tyrannized the
household, but no one had the stomach to discipline her even when she
smashed dishes and lamps. People observing Helen thought her a 'monster,'
not least when she plunged her hands into their dinner plates."[1]
      Then a "miracle" transpired. But Helen Keller never was viewed as the
producer of that life-changing miracle; instead, the "miracle worker" was
Johanna Mansfield Sullivan, better known as Anne: a young woman from the
Boston area whom Helen's mother Katherine brought down to the Keller estate
in Alabama to tame her blind-deaf-mute "wild beast." Through painstaking,
patient work and seemingly endless creativity and faith, it worked. Through
the process of finger-spelling, then Braille, the young Helen finally
learned to communicate using the written word. Eventually, she learned to
speak. And the rest is history-except that most of that history has never
become known in the mainstream.
      Helen Keller became one of the most well-known American celebrities
of the twentieth century. She even learned how to speak in public, though
she had no memory of ever hearing speech. Yet as we grew up, I and my
schoolmates tended to have in our minds a limited picture of this woman.
She had become a pin-up poster representing the deafblind as a whole-a
remarkable freak, but a freak nonetheless. Sometimes in that era before the
onset of political correctness, she was even reduced to a category of
jokes.

Q: How did Helen Keller burn her left ear?