[NFBNJ] Essex Home Repair Program for SeniorsFor Others Inquire In Your County

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Thu Sep 13 00:03:16 UTC 2018

Greetings to all!
once again, we thank Pamela Gaston, NJ CBVI, for sharing the following
information as we continue to work together to make a difference.
If you reside outside of Essex County, please call your county senior
services department.  Call your town hall to request the phone number.

nfbnj1 at verizon.net

Please share this information with individuals who might benefit:

Home Repair Programs in Essex County can Help Senior Citizens
Patch, September 11, 2018-By: Eric Kiefer

The program helps low-income senior citizens in Essex County make minor home
repairs at no cost.

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D44A99.B05773C0]ESSEX COUNTY, NJ - The following news
release comes via Lifelong Montclair and Montclair Township.

Preparing for emergencies like hurricanes and snow storms usually means
scrambling to stores for supplies like flashlights, batteries, water and
food. If you are a senior citizen with poor eye sight, limited mobility and
you no longer drive, you might feel helpless and worried about the upcoming
hurricane and winter season. The Senior Home Repair Program of Essex County
won't supply you with water or food, but it can help senior homeowners and
their caregivers in Essex County to prepare for emergencies and to secure
their homes so that they can weather the storms ahead.

Additional funds from the Essex County Division of Senior Services have
enabled local nonprofit, Life Management, Inc., to extend services to a
greater number of senior homeowners and caregivers in Essex County by
December 31, 2018. The targeted population for services are minority seniors
with low incomes, who are living in urban areas, needing minor carpentry,
plumbing and electrical repairs, or ramps, stair lifts and grab bars, to
name a few types of jobs. Senior owners must be age sixty and over. Also,
caregivers of any age can apply for assistance if they are helping a senior
living in Essex County.

Life Management has been assisting seniors with residential maintenance for
over 18 years. The Agency uses contractors that have been tested and trusted
throughout the years. The Agency has been replacing and securing windows,
doors, storm doors and weather stripping; installing hand rails, grab bars,
motion detectors, peep holes; fixing leaking pipes and toilets; unclogging
drains; replacing water heaters and faulty electrical outlets and light
fixtures; repairing stairs and ceilings; and installing smoke detectors
throughout the County of Essex. Those are just some of the many repairs that
can been done for seniors at no cost to them.

The Senior Home Repair Program funded by the Essex County Division of Senior
Services wants to assist Essex County seniors and their caregivers to
prepare for emergencies like Hurricane Sandy, and dangerous snow storms. We
also want to help keep seniors safe from break-ins, water and wind damage,
and from falls that can be caused by poor lighting, rotting stairs, uneven
sidewalks and a lack of hand rails. If you are a senior citizen who owns a
home in Essex County, or are a caregiver who provides for a senior in your
home, you are eligible for free home repair assistance and even a ramp to
help you get outside your home.

Winter will be here before you know it... doors, windows, and AC units can
be drafty and deadly for seniors. If you are a senior, or would like to
refer a senior for home repair assistance, please call: 973-655-0300.

This E-mail, including any attachments, may be intended solely for the
personal and confidential use of the sender and recipient(s) named above.
This message may include advisory, consultative and/or deliberative material
and, as such, would be privileged and confidential and not a public
document. Any Information in this e-mail identifying a client of the
Department of Human Services or the Department of Children and Families is
confidential. If you have received this e-mail in error, you must not
review, transmit, convert to hard copy, copy, use or disseminate this e-mail
or any attachments to it and you must delete this message. You are requested
to notify the sender by return e-mail.